HP Dubs Reports of WebOS Shutdown 'Unfounded Rumors'

Status
Not open for further replies.

estebanhillcoat

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Of course!!! NOKIA should have bought WebOS and stay competitive in the smartphone business. The problem with HP is that nobody believes they invest in WebOS. In fact nobody believes in HP.
Lets hope some real big and serious company like Samsung or lenovo picks WebOS. The only mobile OS that really rivals iOS.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I don't believe it simply because if HP were going to do something that would imply that they have some kind of plan, and that's simply too hard to believe.

G

WebOs for the touchpad is very intuitive. It is easy to setup and is very easy to use. Aps work well on it also. The WebOs tech support has been very useful. They professionally answer questions and provide understandable assistance.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
webOS was a mistake of HP's in the first place. Palm was dying, and frankly it simply couldn't stand on its own next to iOS or Android. Windows Phone 7 can barely take a piece of that pie, and Microsoft has some pretty deep pockets, not to mention superior engineering (IMO) to Palm.
Why HP invested into it in the first place is a mystery, and it doesn't take a genius to see that HP made a mistake, and whitman being the politician she is, will down play and never admit that "Yeah, it was a screw up, but we can't admit it just yet lest we look like a bunch of idiots for buying it in the first place since our first play on it died on the vine so miserably.... well you get the point.. webOS is ACTUALLY GREAT!"
Its all posturing and hoping to dodge another stock down turn. webOS is dead as fried chicken.
I know it, you know it. and HP knows it, they just can't admit it yet.

G

Palm put together the best user interface, real multitasking, wireless charging, and wireless cloud services two years ago. Synergy is the quickest and easiest way to check email, calendars, and manage contacts. While that sounds like marketing, its true. Unfortunately, they delivered all this with inferior hardware and incomplete features. They were broke. HP buys them and delivers nothing to the existing user base. Nothing. I bought a touchpad as a sidekick to my nonexistent Pre3 that HP built but didn't sell. HP can burn in ****.

blobos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Having gotten my hands on a touchpad, I think the interface is great. But since it doesn't have enough apps I'm using android (cm7). If that's what android is like, I much prefer webOS. Being able to open multiple pdf documents and not having to use a task manager to make sure the apps are closed is really great. But with no apps I've got no use for it besides booting ubuntu.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I have a TouchPad and an iPad2. The iPad is smoother but I use the TouchPad way more because it is nicer to use overall. I hope Win8 will be everything I think it will be so I can actually get a real office tool in my hands next year.

americanbrian

Distinguished
I have a Pre 3 and it rocks. It can do pretty much anything an iphone 4 can do (at least that I need it to do, skype video calling, GPS, led flashlight, sweet camera.)

I think it is a real shame because it is so easy to use and is really professionally useful.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]thekurrgan[/nom]webOS was a mistake of HP's in the first place. Palm was dying, and frankly it simply couldn't stand on its own next to iOS or Android. Windows Phone 7 can barely take a piece of that pie, and Microsoft has some pretty deep pockets, not to mention superior engineering (IMO) to Palm.[/citation]

Having a WP 7½ myself, I have to say that it isn't due to bad software, that windows phone is so unpolular. The os is excellent and feels fast. But the rubbish markedplace interface, the lack of localization and the high pricetag for an entry model phone with Windows are the main limitations. And in addition to that, developers are being stopped from making great apps for the system, because microsoft actively restricts them from making use of certain api's. So in this regard, developers are as handicapped as on ios. Only android is truely 'free for all', but also only android is riddled with malware.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]estebanhillcoat[/nom]The only mobile OS that really rivals iOS.[/citation]
The problem with saying that is usage, in order to be a rival you don't just have to be technically equal or better, you need to have a large user base to validate continued development in a commercial sector.

Some would say that Linux is technically superior to Windows, but as 1.6% of the world's PCs run it versus 85% for Windows, it is not a rival at all. Linux's problems may stem from not being owned by a tech-giant who spend billions in R&D, marketing and bribes to vendors.

Back to WebOS, it is now owned by a tech-giant who DO spend billions in R&D, marketing and bribes to vendors, but they are instead deciding if they should shelve the whole project or not?

In short, WebOS will never be a rival to ANY mobile OS until HP decides to back it as aggressively as Apple backs iOS, Google backs Android and Microsoft backs WP7.

Status
Not open for further replies.