Hp Elitebook 830 G7 Stuck in loop and cannot get into bios

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Hi Thanks for reading I am trying to get into bios on my hp laptop, without success. Everytime laptop boots up into win11, the message pops up : " Need to restart to install hp s70 system firmware "
Upon restart, the laptop ignores my pressing of either the delete key or the f10 key, and states it is updating. Then win 11 boots up and the same message pops up, again, to install hp s70 system firmware
This goes on and on. I have disabled fast boot but this has made no difference, still cannot get into bios
Thanks

I can't think of any BIOS setting that you could use to stop the boot loop. Safe Mode in turn may allow you to manually install the HP S70 system firmware / drivers. To boot in Safe Mode, as the startup clears the BIOS and is about to start loading Windows, press 4 or F4 to start your PC in safe mode. Or, if you'll need to use the internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Some post said they solved the loop by disconnecting everything, only power cord plugged in. Then attempt to update and restart was successfully done. This obviously doesn't apply to a laptop, unless you have something connected to it… If you have, remove it and try booting it. If still the issue persists, try booting the computer in Safe Mode… This disables most device drivers, and updates, so you may want to try manually installing the firmware… the package may already be downloaded in your hard drive.

By default, Windows will store any update downloads on your main drive, this is where Windows is installed, in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. Look for the hp s70 system firmware or download them.

HP S70 System Firmware chipsets drivers

www.drvhub.net/devices/chipsets/hp/s70-system-firmware

Last edited:
Reactions: johnn1111

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Thanks! I can't get into safe mode.
Watched a few youtube videos for my laptop model and they are all saying delete or F10, to get into bios. But the laptop totally and utterly ignores me pressing these keys, or any other keys, and states the message: " Please wait while we install a system update "
The laptop then boots into windows 11, a message pops up in the bottom right corner : " Restart required to complete installation of hp s70 system firmware "
If i then restart, the laptop totally ignores whatever keys i press to try and get into bios or safe mode, and again states " Please wait while we install a system update "
Then boots into win11, with the same pop-up message in the bottom right corner
Can't get out of this loop, can't access the bios or safe mode
Thank you

Your system is stuck in the update installation, but for some reason it can't proceed to install it… my guess is it may be corrupted and the only option is to remove it and if the startup keeps attempting to install it, to replace it with a direct download.

The only option left that I can think of accessing the OS, is from a recovery disk, or a second Windows installation, so you can access the drive and delete the Update that's causing the issue... it should be found at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder Look for the hp s70 system firmware and delete it.

Accessing options: (what computer are you posting from btw?)
1- What boot device is Windows installed in? HDD, SSD I would guess, right?... You could remove the boot device, connect it to a guest desktop computer, and through Windows Explorer, browse to the SoftwareDistribution folder.
2- Create a Boot Recovery media USB or CD/DVD with Hiren's Boot CD/USB, which contains a Windows Explorer environment.

Current BIOS steps for your laptop model​

If that fails, a remaining option would be to clear the BIOS looping settings, by removing the coin cell battery for 5-10 minutes, reinstall the battery and the BIOS should be reset to factory defaults.

After that, try booting the computer normally, and browse to the SafeDistribution folder to delete the failed update.

If the OS keeps doing it's loop, you may have to logon in Safe Mode to avoid the loop, and delete the bad update.

HP Notebook PCs - Entering Safe Mode​

How to Run HP Computers in Safe Mode​

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/run-hp-computers-safe-mode-49974.html

Last edited: