HP Elitebook 840 G3 eGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffamanj

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I have a HP elitebook 840 G3 laptop, and id like to conenct an external GPU to it, to gain some performance while reducing portability. I have got an adapter, wich connects to the m.2 slot where a 512gb ssd sat earlier, wich i moved to the hdd sata slot via a sata to m.2 adapter. the m.2 slot is m.2 key B i believe.¨

I had connected my epgu adapter and an external GPU, with independent power supply, but when i boot i get stuck in a infinite boot cycle. i found out i have to time the moment i turn on the external PSU so that my laptop boots to windows and the fans of the eGPU starts spinning and it is powered by the PSU, wich fans are also spinning. I also noticed my internal laptop fan starts revving up at the same time as the external GPU's fans starts revving too, so im sure the laptop detects the eGPU to some degree.

But the problem is that the laptop doesent recognice the eGPU as a display adaptor. how can i make use of the eGPU? i have tried using radeon software to scan for hardware and install drivers, but it didnt detect the card. i have also turned on "show hidden devices" in device manager, but didnt find anything helpful. The external GPU is an radeon r7 370, with a power supply that is tested and works fine on another system with the same GPU.

I have checked online to see if my laptop had any sort of whitelist, but i couldnt find any proof of that? do anyone here know if it has a whitelist? i have modded bioses before and im pretty experienced with hardware, but sometimes i just need some help, you know.
Thanks in advance.

jaffamanj

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015

I have checked pretty much every corner of the bios for solutions, though the hp bios seems to be pretty limited. ive checked the laptop model and it seems to have pcie capability in the m.2 slot that im using. ill double check the bios though. I'm pretty sure the m.2 key B slot im using has up to 4x pcie capability.

EDIT: i updated the bios to a newer version and it had a m2 sata option. i truned it off, and ill check if it makes any difference when i get home and test the external gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.