Question HP elitedisk to mid tower

Aug 11, 2019
Hey kids.

I wanted to build a little gaming rig on a budget with my nipper for his birthday.

I've found a refurbished HP elitedesk with a I5-4590 at a very decent price (I think) and from what I can see, the processor will go nicely with a GTX 1060.

The only thing is I want to have to change the case from a horizontal one to a vertical mid tower atx case with funky lights.

Now is this possible? Or is the mainboard going to be a different layout?

Can I switch the mainboard? Or is the chip going to be integrated?

The system I've found looks very much like this one.....

Thanks in advance team 😊

The front panel connector headers look like they could be fairly close to standard, but the motherboard power connectors are decidedly proprietary. You could find (or make) adapters for those, I would assume.

Depending on case drillings, you should be able to mount the motherboard with standoffs and hit the majority of motherboard mounting holes. Whether or not it will be enough for adequate support of the MB is an open question. (From the looks of the MB, 6 of the mounting holes should be dead-on, or relatively close, but close probably won't get it for you, if you have a case that is sparse on MB mounting drillings.)

It might be worth the attempt, if the price for the refurb is excellent. If it's not such a great price, you would probably be better-off doing a ground-up micro-ATX build.

Reactions: Nipper76