HP Gigabit Adapter questions

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

I know that HP-UX 11i 11.22 supports the following 1000BaseT network
adapters:

A4929A, A6825A, A6794A, A8685A

What I want to know is what NIC Controllers (i.e. intel 82540, Broadcom...,
etc) are used on these cards, and if the cards are eventually just relabeled
Network adapters from intel, 3COM or any other manufacturer.

Benjamin

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
> I know that HP-UX 11i 11.22 supports the following 1000BaseT network
> adapters:

> A4929A, A6825A, A6794A, A8685A

> What I want to know is what NIC Controllers (i.e. intel 82540,
> Broadcom..., etc) are used on these cards, and if the cards are
> eventually just relabeled Network adapters from intel, 3COM or any
> other manufacturer.

The first two at least are Tigon2-based. I am not certain, the other
two may be 5701. Certainly, if you take a look at one, it will become
pretty clear, so while we don't go trumpting it to the heavens, we
aren't exactly going to great lengths to hide it either :) I am sure
though that all will have HP-specific subvendor information and the
HP-supplied drivers will only claim the HP-branded cards.

Drivers on other OSes may be happy to claim the HP-branded cards.

hth,

rick j ones
where do you want to be today?
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

>> A4929A, A6825A, A6794A, A8685A

>> What I want to know is what NIC Controllers (i.e. intel 82540,
>> Broadcom..., etc) are used on these cards, and if the cards are
>> eventually just relabeled Network adapters from intel, 3COM or any
>> other manufacturer.

> The first two at least are Tigon2-based.

Actually, reading my own post, I realized that the second in the list
is 5701, not Tigon2. If you have the things in an HP-UX system, the
Tigon2 based NICs are driven by the "gelan" driver. The 5701's are
driven by the igelan driver. There is also a NIC based-on Anvik-II
that uses the iether driver. ioscan -fk can show those associations.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

> I know that HP-UX 11i 11.22 supports the following 1000BaseT network
> adapters:
> A4929A, A6825A, A6794A, A8685A
> What I want to know is what NIC Controllers (i.e. intel 82540,
Broadcom...,
> etc) are used on these cards, and if the cards are eventually just
relabeled
> Network adapters from intel, 3COM or any other manufacturer.

Benjamin,

I have opened my zx2000 for you.
Here below a copy of labels found on the lan card A6825-60101

Alain.

# ioscan -fnC lan
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
lan 0 0/2/3/0 iether CLAIMED INTERFACE HP PCI 1000Base-T
Core
lan 1 0/3/1/0 igelan CLAIMED INTERFACE HP A6825-60101 PCI
1000Base-T Adapter
# model
ia64 hp workstation zx2000
#

3com broadcom

BCM5701TKHB
TK0335 P13
705087W

EA=00306EF4A04F
3C996B-T-P25HP-C1
03-0278-400 REV A
SN=HYLRF4A04F

HP P/N A6825-60101
EDC:B-4246 MDC:4344

"Rick Jones" <foo@bar.baz.invalid> a écrit dans le message de news:
Er9oc.1239$sm1.774@news.cpqcorp.net...
> >> A4929A, A6825A, A6794A, A8685A
> > The first two at least are Tigon2-based.
>
> Actually, reading my own post, I realized that the second in the list
> is 5701, not Tigon2. If you have the things in an HP-UX system, the
> Tigon2 based NICs are driven by the "gelan" driver. The 5701's are
> driven by the igelan driver. There is also a NIC based-on Anvik-II
> that uses the iether driver. ioscan -fk can show those associations.

Rick,

Tigon2 = 3com broadcom ??

In comp.sys.hp.hardware nissan350z <ota1998@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Tigon2 = 3com broadcom ??

Sort-of. Tigon2 was the name of the GbE chipset developed by Alteon,
before they became Alteon Web Systems, before they were bought by
Nortel. IIRC 3com did make NICs using Tigon2 GbE chips.

Also, IIRC, the NIC portion of Alteon, or at least the IP from it, was
sold to Broadcom around the time of the development of the Tigon3, aka
BCM570X family.

rick jones

nissan350z wrote:

> Benjamin,
>
> I have opened my zx2000 for you.
> Here below a copy of labels found on the lan card A6825-60101

Thanks a lot to You and to Rick. That helps me to find a working GBit NIC
for my old i2000...

Benjamin

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
> Thanks a lot to You and to Rick. That helps me to find a working
> GBit NIC for my old i2000...

I would think that the old "gelan" Tigno2 NICs would be the ones that
were supported (if any were) on the i2000 under HP-UX 11.20. I don't
recall if the 5701-based NICs were around then or not.

rick jones

Rick Jones wrote:

> I would think that the old "gelan" Tigno2 NICs would be the ones that
> were supported (if any were) on the i2000 under HP-UX 11.20. I don't
> recall if the 5701-based NICs were around then or not.

Luckily my i2000 is running 11.22 so I probably have better chances than
with 11.20 which basically was just a developer release and didn't support
much hardware :)

Benjamin

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
> Luckily my i2000 is running 11.22 so I probably have better chances than
> with 11.20 which basically was just a developer release and didn't support
> much hardware :)

I'd forgotten that you'd mentioned 11.22 previously - I'd also forgotten
that 11.22 would work on an old Merced system :) I'm actually mildy
surprised that we would have qualified a 5701 NIC on the Merced systems
under 11.22 but if it works for you, more power to you :)

Do though start seeing about getting onto some newer hardware :)

rick

Rick Jones wrote:

> I'd forgotten that you'd mentioned 11.22 previously - I'd also
> forgotten that 11.22 would work on an old Merced system :)

Yes, at least 10.22 runs on the i2000. I find 10.20 rather useless since
it's unsupported, has a bunch of bugs and it's support is somewhat sparse...

Sadly 11.23 doesn't run on the i2000 any more. I wonder why since there are
a good number of i2000's and rx4610/9610's around which now are
out-of-support. And this after such a short life span...

> I'm
> actually mildy surprised that we would have qualified a 5701 NIC on
> the Merced systems under 11.22 but if it works for you, more power to
> you :)

I'll see. I'm going to find a 5701 and try out. That's all I can do...

> Do though start seeing about getting onto some newer hardware :)

Well, the i2000 is a private hobby and my found are limited, so I doubt I'll
get a private Itanium2 in the short future. But then, You can get a HP RENEW
rx2600 with Dual Itanium2 900MHz, 2GB RAM, 36GB 10k SCSI disk with HP-UX and
warranty für 1999EUR which is cheaper than most Opteron systems (especially
Dual CPU systems)...

Benjamin