HP Gives a Lesson in Batteries, Explains the 32-hour Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Correct(ish), but I'm pretty sure the low voltage processors are more efficient for the computation done versus the regular voltage mobile chips, less power on average.
And then comparing regular mobile chips with desktop chips, much more efficient too.
TDP is a weird term that I'd have to look up to try and understand. Typical Design Power?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Correct(ish), but I'm pretty sure the low voltage processors are more efficient for the computation done versus the regular voltage mobile chips, less power on average.And then comparing regular mobile chips with desktop chips, much more efficient too.TDP is a weird term that I'd have to look up to try and understand. Typical Design Power?[/citation]

Its Thermal Design Power actually and is about cooling, if you have a tdp of 100w the cooling solution need to be able to handle 100w cooling during extreme computational tasks. Most quality manufacturers would aim much higher in order to keep it working over extended periods in all parts of the world due to ambient temperature-dust-humidity ect.

Reading the title I was hoping HP came with a new battery technology, something that is needed more than anything now. Instead of that, a "the more the merrier" from the Logic Basics 101.
Here, HP, I have a better one for you: hook it up to a car battery and you can get at least a week out of your laptop. Genius, right?

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
i din't even bother to watch the videos. release benchmark where display is at full brightness and cpu is running at full clock speed doing something serious - like transcoding videos or similar. then when it's dead, charge it for 1h then disconnect from outlet and repeat the test. that sort of numbers would something i'd be interested in. 30h of "running" and doing nothing is bogus - just power it down.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
But look at the size of that damn thing. Hell I bet I can power my laptop all day with my truck battery too, but you don’t see me lugging that around like a bag phone from the 80's do ya?

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
6W is probably doable with SSD, 2GB or less RAM, screen off (my toshiba r835 with i5-2435m, ssd, 8GB ram, lowest brightness can do 7W), but who wants to carry that huge chunk around? That's just stupid.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Up to 32 hours. Would be awesome if the system that actually can last 32 hours is not a glorified calculator. One day but until then it seems battery tech has a long way to go and cant wait for scientist to make the next break through in battery life!

kyij

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
My Toshiba with a few mods can last 8-12 hours. I have the screen set to a few notches above minimum (it is LED), I installed an intel SSD (the cheapest at $0.50 p/ gb, used), used one 4GB stick of ram instead of 2* 2GB, took out DVD drive (makes a good cubby for phone), and bought a 12cell battery which gives me 108w time (it was generic, for ~$35).

Yes I have wifi on, several tabs opened, pandora on, and solidworks.
ATM, I am using 10w, but usually it is 8w, it is most likely due to SW...

Just hook up a car battery if you need the extra time - weighs the same as laptops from a decade ago anyway - or at least two decades ago.
1200W = 100Ah * 12V
1200W / 8W/h = 150 hours.. though my laptop pulls less volts so not completely accurate anyhow (plus a floating discharge and heat obviously would start to eat some life too).

kyij

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
My Toshiba with a few mods can last 8-12 hours. I have the screen set to a few notches above minimum (it is LED), I installed an intel SSD (the cheapest at $0.50 p/ gb, used), used one 4GB stick of ram instead of 2* 2GB, took out DVD drive (makes a good cubby for phone), and bought a 12cell battery which gives me 108w time (it was generic, for ~$35).

Yes I have wifi on, several tabs opened, pandora on, and solidworks.
ATM, I am using 10w, but usually it is 8w, it is most likely due to SW...

Just hook up a car battery if you need the extra time - weighs the same as laptops from a decade ago anyway - or at least two decades ago.
1200W = 100Ah * 12V
1200W / 8W/h = 150 hours.. though my laptop pulls less volts so not completely accurate anyhow (plus a floating discharge and heat obviously would start to eat some life too).

Status
Not open for further replies.