HP has a i7-4790+6GB 980ti+12 GB of RAM for $936.34

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Last thing HP wants is you requesting a warranty for parts and shipping the system back and all that. I am sure they tested PSU and airflow a million times prior to putting this thing on sale. It just does not make any sense to put a PSU that will limit the PC and die on the user and cause calls to tech department, dissatisfaction and additional labor and shipping which combines cost way more that PSU. That's just not how smart businesses work.

chenw

Honorable
As a general rule, I don't trust OEM Power supplies, no matter how reputable the computer brand is. Reason? It's the only part that is NEVER stated what maker the PSU is from. At most they show what wattage, but never from whom.

Considering the quoted computer doesn't look like it support ATX PSU's, that throws even more questions about it.

PSU is something that I would never EVER buy without thoroughly investigating its quality first, because PSU is one of only two parts commonly found in a computer where a failure could lead to damage to other components (the other being water used in AIO or CLC cooling), and only PSU is absolutely necessary, and only PSU can also lead to damage to things beside the computer. Thus I treat PSU as the most critical component.

Brand often has nothing to do with PSU reliability. Best examples are Corsair's CX, RX and CM series PSU's.

That's my humble opinion though, take it or leave it. I personally would spend an extra dollar to make sure everything is of highest reliability from the very start, as I find RMA process often tedious and annoying, since I would be out of a computer for the duration of the process, which is, IMO, by far the most annoying part of any RMA process.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Let me put it this way, i and my family have a long history of buying PCs, from big boys like Dell and HP to gaming companies like CyberpowerPC.

PCs from Dell, eMachines, HP, Compaq did not have a single component that died, yes they were underpowered but they worked and honestly never even died, we just got better PCs.

Where you get you PSU bad taste is i am guessing here is you bought a cheap PSU before or had one from like iBuyPower. They just put in whatever they have.

The big PC makers are always huge on reliability because for them a single RMA can mean a loss on an entire sale.

chenw

Honorable
I never had a bad PSU, but that's mostly because I have very seldomly used an OEM desktop. I have bought exactly 1 OEM desktop in my entire life, and that was for my family, not for me (I was using laptops back then). The computer was Acer, but it was around 8 years old by the time it failed (I don't know how it failed because I no longer have access to that computer). All other desktop me and my family have ever used were all DIY'ed, either by my hands or by someone else's, but the components were all handpicked.

Bigger OEM brands do not necessarily mean better components. They are geared towards non-tech savvy people, most tech savvy would probably prefer building their own due to the very much bigger flexibility and control over components, so the OEM models are usually used by people who don't push their system (or don't know how to). As such, I have no confidence over quality of their components, especially one as critical as PSU, and that is often the most hidden piece of hardware on their specification.

I have never run into a bad PSU situation, because we have always used quality PSU's, it's always the very first component I will spend that extra money to get a high quality unit, and I would rather not buy a new computer over cheaping out on PSU's.

Obviously your post suggests that you have much bigger faith in large OEM brands, because I do not, at least not the quality of the PSU's they put into their machines.

I can see from everything you've said here that you clearly do not know how custom built PCs part picked and assembled by very experienced gamers vary from those mass assembled by big name brands. The assembly work is often flawed, and in general, their main priority for picking parts is getting ones they can buy in volume. There are a TON of parts that meet their loose QC standards, and they always go with the ones that they can get at best volume and pricing. Add that to requiring consistent, high volume suppliers, and that is why the parts they use often fits a narrow market profile, NOT because they're higher quality. Seriously, it's as if you've never heard the expression quantity over quality. That's what name brand PCs are.

I'm also willing to bet in those name brand PCs you're referring to having experience with, you've never owned one the likes of this, which has smallish case with poor ventilation, very powerful GPU, and under powered PSU. All 3 those factors combined spell trouble, and experienced custom game PC builders see those things right off the bat. You also have to be an avid vs casual gamer to really put a gaming PC through it's paces, otherwise the success rate is skewed. Clearly you're talking like a casual.

Another misconception is having to send the build back to the seller. If it were to have a retail box vs OEM CPU, that would not be necessary, because Intel would honor the 3 year warranty on it and identify it by it's serial number. If you're really THAT experienced with PCs, especially powerful gaming PCs, you'd know that.

I'll grant you that the price is better than most name brands would offer with parts like that, but the general rule of thumb with name brand PCs, is if it's too good to be true, it generally is. I could come close enough to that price with holiday pricing to easily make the slight extra paid well worth it in better parts, and better warranty support. That's the whole point you're missing. You're only looking at price and convenience, the two things that make such mediocre companies so powerful in the first place.

Have you looked at the quality of HP printers lately? They're very fail prone. HP used to have some of the most reliable printers. Bigger is not automatically better. It just means they sell more product and thus have more overhead. If anything bigger companies are more prone to QC problems, especially in times of recession when people buy less.

I think I would be a bit worried about the fact that they miss spelled "expired".
Also, on hp website the PC is much more expensive even with a 970 (I dont even see a 980 Ti as an option in the config).

http://store.hp.com/us/en/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=923154&storeId=10151&jumpid=ba_r329_hhoaffiliate&aid=38293&pbid=dZCX6Je2w8Q&aoid=35252&siteid=dZCX6Je2w8Q-DTMyEsmZZVC39gGBU8LdnQ

A bit of skepticism would be good.

EDIT: NVm i found the 980 Ti, still, price is far from the one on the site.