HP Intros New Lineup of Windows 8 Consumer PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Are these Win8 certified? If yes I feel sorry for people who will buy them, because of the Secure Boot FUBAR if not for other things. If you want to buy it for some kid that is learning some programming language include few thousand dollars in box becuse he/she will have to dish out $90 to M$FT for each and every program compiled.

[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Are these Win8 certified? If yes I feel sorry for people who will buy them, because of the Secure Boot FUBAR if not for other things. If you want to buy it for some kid that is learning some programming language include few thousand dollars in box becuse he/she will have to dish out $90 to M$FT for each and every program compiled.[/citation]

Have you ever heard of VirtualBox, VMWare, Windows Virtual PC, and even QEMU as well as any others that I've missed? Even if someone can't work with the main system, they can virtualize just fine. Furthermore, I've compiled software on Windows 8 and Server 2012 without any problems.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I really wish HP would make one that is not plastic. Even the "Brushed-Aluminum design" Envy M4 has a plastic base (bottom).
And for the doubters:
http://www.laptop-enews.com/2012/08/21/HP-Envy-m4-Review-A-Windows-8-Equipped-Laptop/

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"Starts at $539 and is expected to be available worldwide on Oct. 8 with Windows 7"
I thought this article was about up coming HP computers shipping with windows 8.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Are these Win8 certified? If yes I feel sorry for people who will buy them, because of the Secure Boot FUBAR if not for other things. If you want to buy it for some kid that is learning some programming language include few thousand dollars in box becuse he/she will have to dish out $90 to M$FT for each and every program compiled.[/citation]

Where in the above article does it mention secure boot? How do you know that it'll have secure boot, be enabled or even an option?

[citation][nom]Shafe88[/nom]"Starts at $539 and is expected to be available worldwide on Oct. 8 with Windows 7"I thought this article was about up coming HP computers shipping with windows 8.[/citation]

That doesn't mean that other things can't be in the article.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I wonder how many people are going to be stupid enough to buy the Envy M4 with its Intel Integrated graphics over the $499 to $599 AMD counterparts? The good news is HP is not as stupid as Dell in their offerings. They know if you want a low part machine, an AMD APU will be better then an Intel with integrated graphics.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I wonder how many people are going to be stupid enough to buy the Envy M4 with its Intel Integrated graphics over the $499 to $599 AMD counterparts? The good news is HP is not as stupid as Dell in their offerings. They know if you want a low part machine, an AMD APU will be better then an Intel with integrated graphics.[/citation]True enough, even for the entry-level boxes where the Trinity APUs are very competitive, Dell is essentially an Intel-only house these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.