Question HP laptop screen flickering, but HDMI output works fine ?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
The laptop screen is flashing-flickering-seizing etc I can see the picture in between it doing this. Im using the laptop right now to make this post because using HDMI works just fine.

What would you recommend I try to do?

Here on some details about the laptop:

• HP Notebook
  • Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.18, 9/26/2016
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home X64
Not sure what, if any, is relevant information

Thanks for any help

Lutfij

Titan
HP Notebook
HP have a number of notebooks in their portfolio, which one do you have?

If the panel on the laptop is the only component that is exhibiting a flicker, it's highly possible that the panel in question on your laptop is in need of replacing. In either case, prior to sending it off for repair, try and see if you've got any BIOS updates pending(I'd have done so but I can't narrow down what HP notebook you have since not all notebooks will have the same BIOS), then see if reinstalling your GPU drivers with DDU and then manually reinstalling with the latest found off of HP's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, helps.

What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
HP Notebook
HP have a number of notebooks in their portfolio, which one do you have?

If the panel on the laptop is the only component that is exhibiting a flicker, it's highly possible that the panel in question on your laptop is in need of replacing. In either case, prior to sending it off for repair, try and see if you've got any BIOS updates pending(I'd have done so but I can't narrow down what HP notebook you have since not all notebooks will have the same BIOS), then see if reinstalling your GPU drivers with DDU and then manually reinstalling with the latest found off of HP's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, helps.

What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RD-LAPTOP
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU W2M75UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.18, 9/26/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 61.36
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 81EB
BaseBoard Version 61.36
Platform Role Mobile

HP Notebook - 15-ay011nr (ENERGY STAR)

Serial: CND6442F3B
Product: W2M75UA#ABA

Last edited:

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Use an USB driven keyboard to get your PIN through.

I did a BIOS update
a
, you mean one BIOS update?

I did a BIOS update
a
It doesnt work. If I try to use keyboard to type email password or PIN its unresponsive. If I click on the wifi and try to enter a password the keyboard works just fine. So basically my laptop is stuck at the loadup screen because I cant type anything.

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of clarity, which BIOS version did you update to from the one you were on prior? See if you can get into Safe Mode per this guide;
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124344/how-to-boot-to-safe-mode-in-windows-10
following;
Boot into Safe Mode from the sign-in screen in Windows 11 or Windows 10
or
Boot into Safe Mode from outside of Windows 11 or Windows 10
so you can get into the OS GUI(in Safe Mode) and then see if you can backup your mission critical content.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021

I did a BIOS update
a
Firstly, thanks for your continued effort with helping.

Here is where I stand now.

I cant boot up into Safe Mode. Im not getting a video signal on my external monitor until its at the screen where I would ordinarily type in my password or pin. Once I power up the laptop I spam F8 to try and get into BIOS so that I can boot into Safe Mode. Upon hitting the Power button on my laptop I spam F8 for 1-2min. Because I cant see the screens Im purely guessing. However doing this has not resulted into success. Despite having stopped spamming F8 several minutes ago my laptop and monitor are both black screened. By the glow on my monitor I know its powered on and on some screen, but my external monitor just has "No Signal".

Not looking good both literally and figuratively lol

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome!

^ use that guide(I wrote up) to see if you can get display onto your external panel. You're going to need a screwdriver for that mind you.