[SOLVED] HP laptop upgraded to Win 10 reset

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Hello. So recently a good friend of mine gave me their older HP pavilion laptop which had been upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 in the past. I am going to go ahead and reset the laptop, and was wondering as I go through the steps if there is any way for me to avoid reverting back to windows 8. Thank you.

Solution
The fact is, you CAN'T revert back to Windows 8. Once Windows 8 has been upgraded to Windows 10 you have a 30 day grace period to undo the upgrade. After that, the Windows 8 license permanently becomes a Windows 10 license. That is a digital entitlement that is attached to the hardware ID string in the BIOS. You simply need to do a clean install.

The fact is, you CAN'T revert back to Windows 8. Once Windows 8 has been upgraded to Windows 10 you have a 30 day grace period to undo the upgrade. After that, the Windows 8 license permanently becomes a Windows 10 license. That is a digital entitlement that is attached to the hardware ID string in the BIOS. You simply need to do a clean install.

Solution