HP Laserjet 4200 - Maintenance Message Problem

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

We have a scores & scores of HP LaserJet 4200's, and I've changed
numerous maintenance kits over the last year or so [which is easy to
do]. After installing the maintenance kit components [fuser, transfer
roller, other rollers, etc] and cleaning the printer, I always clear
the maintenance message using the printer menu system...and the
maintenance message goes away. However, once in a while I've seen
maintenance messages RETURN to printers that had the kit installed
recently [say within the last 10,000 or 20,000 pages even]. So, I have
to clear the maintenance message again...even though it should not
have appeared in the first place.

Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this issue? And how to fix
it?

Thanks

Zeiram

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Hiya Steve,

As someone who's replaced a lot of these maintenance kits, I was
wondering if I could get your opinion. I have a Laserjet 4200 printer
that's flashing the 'replace maintenance kit' message after 220k pages.
Is there any harm in clearing the message just to see if it was a
fluke and then if it comes up again, getting the kit?

The kits are fairly expensive.. but at the same time, I don't want to
risk doing damage to the printer by ignoring the message for too long.

Thanks,

-Drew