HP LaserJet IIP plus suddenly quits working

My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so I'm
not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory setting
that I'm unaware of?
When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
though...

Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if that's
normal.

Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Have you tried the HP site for manuals?

Clark

"Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> wrote in message
> My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
> working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so
> I'm
> not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
> self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory
> setting
> that I'm unaware of?
> When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
> another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
> won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
> though...
>
> Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
> never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if
> that's
> normal.
>
> Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?
>

> --
> regards,
>
> |\ /|
> | \/ |@rk
> \../
> \/os
>
> mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
> URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/
>
> ICQ 326628

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Linea Recta wrote:

> My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
> working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so I'm
> not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
> self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory setting
> that I'm unaware of?
> When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
> another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
> won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
> though...
>
> Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
> never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if that's
> normal.
>
> Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?
>
> --
> regards,

WOW! A IIP. I haven't laid eyes on one of those since '91, back in the
good old days when HP printers were built to last.

I'd like to help you but I never owned a IIP. Sorry. Hope you get it
running soon.

I have a Laserjet IIp, a Laserjet IIIp, 2- Laserjet 5L printers.
The Test key can be used to perform a self test. To perform a self
test:

Click the On Line key to take the printer off-line. The green On-Line
indicator should be off.

Hold down the ALT. key and click the Test key.
05 SELF TEST appears on the LCD.
This causes the printer to test it's built-in controller. The self
test takes approximately 30 seconds to complete, and will take longer
if accessory memory boards have been installed.

Note! If 04 SELF TEST appears, click the ON LINE key to stop the
continuous self test. Up to 6 more pages will print. 04 SELF TEST
appears when you hold down the Test key for more than 5 seconds while
performing a self test.

During the print portion of the self test, the printer displays 06
PRINT TEST and prints out two pages. One page contains test patterns
and a list of the current printer settings. The second page printed
during a self test is the printer generated cleaning paper. Use this
cleaning paper to clean the printer when changing toner cartridges.
This page has a large area of black on it. To use this page place on
top of the paper in the input tray face up and do another Self Test.
Toner had an affinity for other toner and clean it out of the printer.

Van Gardner

> [...]

> My HP LaserJet IIP plus always used to work fine, but suddenly it stopped
> working. I got the printer from someone else but without any manual, so I'm
> not sure how to use the panel buttons. I can't get the printer to print a
> self test. Can it be in some odd mode? Is there some default factory setting
> that I'm unaware of?
> When I switch on I hear the sound and the 2 lights switch on. Then I hear
> another sound and only the upper light is on. But in any case the printer
> won't feed no paper anymore. I don't think there is jammed paper in it
> though...
>
> Another thing: I can't read anything from the printer display. But then, I
> never watched the display when the printer worked so I don't know if that's
> normal.
>
> Any suggestions for an easy & simple repair or do I have to dispose of it?

Thanks for your help!

"Van Gardner" <vangard@worldnet.att.net> schreef in bericht
> I have a Laserjet IIp, a Laserjet IIIp, 2- Laserjet 5L printers.
> The Test key can be used to perform a self test. To perform a self
> test:
>
> Click the On Line key to take the printer off-line. The green On-Line
> indicator should be off.
>
> Hold down the ALT. key and click the Test key.
> 05 SELF TEST appears on the LCD.

OK, I watched the display carefully with a big light over it because it has
become very vague. First it said READY.
After attempting a self test as you describe, the lower light goes on. I
heard the motor start for a short while and stopping again. It doesn't feed
paper and I can distinguish "52 ERROR" on the display...
Is it big trouble?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../

"Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
> paper and I can distinguish "52 ERROR" on the display...
> Is it big trouble?

That's a very common failure of the IIp. The usual fix is to replace
the scanner motor:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkc5.html

However, I think I heard somewhere that the actual failure is a
capacitor on the motor control board going bad, so it might be
possible to replace just the capacitor.

IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> schreef in bericht
> "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
> > paper and I can distinguish "52 ERROR" on the display...
> > Is it big trouble?
>
> That's a very common failure of the IIp. The usual fix is to replace
> the scanner motor:
>
> http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkc5.html
>
> However, I think I heard somewhere that the actual failure is a
> capacitor on the motor control board going bad, so it might be
> possible to replace just the capacitor.
>
> IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
> it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.

Well, I suppose it's a pity then for the printer and the toner cartridges I
have... to dump all from the balcony... :-((

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628

"Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
> > IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
> > it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.
>
> Well, I suppose it's a pity then for the printer and the toner
> cartridges I have... to dump all from the balcony... :-((

What I mean is that there are lots of used IIp's around and you can
probably buy another one (or a IIP+ or IIIp) fairly cheaply, that will
use your toner cartridges. That capacitor seems to be about the most
common failure. Aside from that, the printers are very solid, if a
little slow. I still have one with the same failure, and someday may
try to fix it, but I put it in storage instead and bought a more
modern printer.

> "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
> > > IIp's are almost worthless these days, and if you really like the IIp,
> > > it's probably cheaper to find another one than fix your broken one.
> >
> > Well, I suppose it's a pity then for the printer and the toner
> > cartridges I have... to dump all from the balcony... :-((
>
> What I mean is that there are lots of used IIp's around and you can
> probably buy another one (or a IIP+ or IIIp) fairly cheaply, that will
> use your toner cartridges. That capacitor seems to be about the most
> common failure. Aside from that, the printers are very solid, if a
> little slow. I still have one with the same failure, and someday may
> try to fix it, but I put it in storage instead and bought a more
> modern printer.

Would it be possible for an average skilful person to do the repair without
special tools? Would you know (a site) with pictures of the printer inside
where to operate as an example? I only possess a soldering gun, pliers and
some screwdrivers. If it is a fairly simple process the effort might pay
off...

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628

"Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
> Would it be possible for an average skilful person to do the repair without
> special tools? Would you know (a site) with pictures of the printer inside
> where to operate as an example? I only possess a soldering gun, pliers and
> some screwdrivers. If it is a fairly simple process the effort might pay
> off...

I haven't tried the repair myself. I have the impression that the
usual way to do it is just replace the whole assembly, which only
needs a screwdriver. Replacing the capacitor would require
identifying it (I don't know which one it is) and desoldering and
replacing it. The usual way to identify a bad component
(e.g. capacitor) is to spray coolant on different parts of the board
until you find the component that makes the printer work again when
chilled (capacitors usually don't totally fail, but instead degrade so
that they'll still work if you get them cold). Then you replace that
component. That's a standard TV repair procedure and you can get the
coolant spray at places like Radio Shack.

> "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes:
> > Would it be possible for an average skilful person to do the repair
without
> > special tools? Would you know (a site) with pictures of the printer
inside
> > where to operate as an example? I only possess a soldering gun, pliers
and
> > some screwdrivers. If it is a fairly simple process the effort might pay
> > off...
>
> I haven't tried the repair myself. I have the impression that the
> usual way to do it is just replace the whole assembly, which only
> needs a screwdriver. Replacing the capacitor would require
> identifying it (I don't know which one it is) and desoldering and
> replacing it. The usual way to identify a bad component
> (e.g. capacitor) is to spray coolant on different parts of the board
> until you find the component that makes the printer work again when
> chilled (capacitors usually don't totally fail, but instead degrade so
> that they'll still work if you get them cold). Then you replace that
> component. That's a standard TV repair procedure and you can get the
> coolant spray at places like Radio Shack.

OK thanks for your input.

--
regards,

|\ /|