[SOLVED] HP Laserjet Pro MFP 148W unable to connect.

tdiffee1

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
I have an HP Laserjet Pro MFP 148W connected to in OptiPlex 990. I recently moved and although I had no connection issues before now the status of my printer is always "not available." Whether I connect via USB or wireless the computer can see the printer but is unable to print or even install. I have run the HP print Dr. tool, the computer is new but I have gone through the process of turning on and off several times as well as doing the same with the printer to no avail. Any ideas? I can print a test fade from the printer's screen so I know that it is functional. Also, settings also see it as a wireless direct connect with the same results.

Solution
Many times the HP software wants to be run first before the printer is connected. With the printer unplugged, delete any HP software that was installed. Also make sure there are no extra instances or the printer in the system in Printers and Scanners. Download the HP software for the printer, run it. At some point it should tell you to plug in the printer, connect it then.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not sure this is your issue....but doublecheck that the "old" configuration isn't the one you are clicking on in your printer list.
Windows has a bad habit of relisting (for lack of a better word) a printer when you connect it differently.
Check to see if there are multiple instances of the printer showing in devices or even just the print to list.

tdiffee1

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
Not sure that I follow you. Where would this "old" figuration come from? When I tried to install it using direct connect the printer does offer a pin in the system accepts it but times out and the insulation fails. I tried to reinstall after removing the printer from the list due to receiving the printer unavailable whenever I tried to use any of its functions (print, scan, etc.). ( I admit this may have been a mistake.) What perplexes me is that Windows "sees" that it is out there.

Many times the HP software wants to be run first before the printer is connected. With the printer unplugged, delete any HP software that was installed. Also make sure there are no extra instances or the printer in the system in Printers and Scanners. Download the HP software for the printer, run it. At some point it should tell you to plug in the printer, connect it then.

Solution