News HP launches Omen Transcend 32 – 240Hz and 4K in a 32-inch OLED gaming monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit4me2

Honorable
BANNED
Aug 20, 2018
Thanks for this article bro. For those of us who cannot truly stand a curved monitor and needed a 32-in size this might actually be the answer. But usually with HP there is always a catch somewhere we should see

Reactions: PEnns

bramahon

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
I'd be interested in knowing if this one employs a 2nd-gen QD-OLED from Samsung. The peak brightness suggests it's probably not but I could be mistaken. Apart from having a higher peak brightness which boosts specular highlight in HDR, 2nd-gen QD-OLED panels are supposed to be more durable which likely is a bigger concern for people like me who're on the fence about OLED adoption. Anyway, the more the competition in the 32inch 4K segment the better it's for the consumer, so let those come in volumes!

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I'd be interested in knowing if this one employs a 2nd-gen QD-OLED from Samsung. The peak brightness suggests it's probably not but I could be mistaken. Apart from having a higher peak brightness which boosts specular highlight in HDR, 2nd-gen QD-OLED panels are supposed to be more durable which likely is a bigger concern for people like me who're on the fence about OLED adoption. Anyway, the more the competition in the 32inch 4K segment the better it's for the consumer, so let those come in volumes!
Any idea what the story is on auto-dimming? I bought one of the large Gigabyte OLEDs and ended up turning it into a TV display b/c the dimming basically meant I couldn’t edit photos. Pretty sure I couldn’t even calibrate it b/c the panel would dim as the color patches were cycling through.

bramahon

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Any idea what the story is on auto-dimming? I bought one of the large Gigabyte OLEDs and ended up turning it into a TV display b/c the dimming basically meant I couldn’t edit photos. Pretty sure I couldn’t even calibrate it b/c the panel would dim as the color patches were cycling through.
Well, if it's about ABL (Auto-Brightness Limiting) then ya, those 1st-gen panels are pretty aggressive in this regard. This is why content creation is often a no-go on OLEDs, a shame really considering the wide gamut and color accuracy. It seems the 3rd-gen QD-OLEDs and 2nd-gen MLA W-OLED can sustain a higher brightness(~300nits) at a 100% window which may result in a less aggressive dimming algorithm. Depends on actual implementation from the vendor too, e.g. Corsair going with a dimmer Xeneon 27QHD240 (w/ burn-in warranty!) while ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM is brighter -both using the same panel from LG. Let's wait for these new 4k 32" panels to come out and see how they fare as full fledged productivity monitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Integr8d
Status
Not open for further replies.