HP Looking at Android for Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
My Android G1 runs a ARM-based processor. Is there an x86 version of Android or are we talking about shying away from Intel and Via, possibly towards NVIDIA's Tegra or some other ARM processor for netbooks??

G

that sounds strange. why not just use a normal distribution of linux.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]My Android G1 runs a ARM-based processor. Is there an x86 version of Android or are we talking about shying away from Intel and Via, possibly towards NVIDIA's Tegra or some other ARM processor for netbooks??[/citation]
Android basically is custom Java SDK running on top of custom Linux kernel for ARM. It should be quite easy to replace the ARM kernel with x86 kernel and Android could run on x86 based netbook. Although I think the feature of the netbooks/MIDs is in fact in ARM architecture. [citation][nom]bogdan111[/nom]that sounds strange. why not just use a normal distribution of linux.[/citation]
I would agree with you, but all companies that are offering Linux on netbooks are finding that many of the customers are very entrenched in Windows paradigm and do not want to re-learn how to use PC under Linux. This is becoming a support issue for OEMs. That is why they are looking for something that has been accepted by average user. Or in other words OEMs want the netbooks to be used as an appliance. That would be ok with me as long they do not try to lock the device and allow me to install my custom version of Android or other Linux distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.