HP Now Platinum Member of Linux Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Interesting. I wonder why the sudden upgrade?
I hope this means better driver support for their consumer based products, like the DV3500 which had that fingerprint scanner that still doesn't work under Ubuntu yet.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"The Linux Foundation, established in 2000, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the growth of Linux."...it's been 12 years and Linux has what .1% market share? Not exactly doing a great job.[/citation]

Linux has been on hundreds of billions of devices across the world (if not trillions). It started with some guy's home project. You call that "not exactly doing a great job". Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's most certainly not at a mere .1% market share even in the desktop/laptop/netbook markets. It's something like 1% or 2% and then it has a huge presence in the server and lower end markets such as with network routers, phones and tablets (*smart* and otherwise), and much, much more.

G

Two things:

1 - Both AMD and Intel use Linux for chip design.
2 - Does this mean I might be able to buy my next notebook with Linux already installed?

Del Ramey

[citation][nom]Del Ramey[/nom]Two things:1 - Both AMD and Intel use Linux for chip design.2 - Does this mean I might be able to buy my next notebook with Linux already installed?Del Ramey[/citation]

You already can do that. There are many places to buy laptops, desktops, and netbooks with a Linux distribution pre-installed and there has been for quite a while now (at least several years). Prices could be a lot better in many places, but they're available.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You already can do that. There are many places to buy laptops, desktops, and netbooks with a Linux distribution pre-installed and there has been for quite a while now (at least several years). Prices could be a lot better in many places, but they're available.[/citation]
Yup, +1 on that.
There are as well, retailers which offer notebooks without Windows or any OS, saving you money for the key and focusing your money on what you actually need: hardware.

Not precisely a Linux guy here, I just use it ocasionally, but its a great system (Ubuntu), and having to choice to pick a notebook with it bundled its sweet.

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]Interesting. I wonder why the sudden upgrade?[/citation]

i so want to say because of Windows 8 but its not. It simply because of Linux being the underpinnings of many devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.