[SOLVED] HP Pavilion desktop gaming upgrade

Solution
I see. I'd just end up sinking more money into it by trying to make it into something usable

No, far from it. A cheap (price, not quality) PSU and a mid-range GPU and it's plenty usable.
The RAM upgrade isn't necessary - only the GPU and PSU would be.

However, by the time you consider PSU, RAM, CPU, GPU.... why bother upgrading?

Where are you located? And what kind of budget would you be working with?

This is literally just throwing something together to give you an idea. Not necessarily something I'd suggest you run out and buy.

Lots of different options, depending on budget for the GPU/CPU etc... and aesthetically (case, cooler, fans etc).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With an A10, for gaming, 16GB of RAM isn't likely to do anything - your CPU is going to be limiting you to lower settings anyway, which will negate the need for >8GB... IMO anyway.

As far as a GPU goes, I wouldn't look to pair anything much stronger than maybe an RX560 (or 570 if you can pick one up cheap enough) with it.

For RAM you will need another DDR4-2400 DIMM. However, there are 2 says of doing this. Just going with 1 stick of 8GB doesn't assure your system will be stable. Using 2x 8GB kit will assure stability. For the GPU the fastest 4GB is a GTX 1650. It is also low profile so it would give you options if you need a low profile GPU. There is also a very slim outside chance that with a BIOS update you could upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen. The motherboard is AM4 so it might work, but it is a slim chance.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($68.59 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB GAMING Low Profile Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $295.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 13:52 EST-0500

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There is also a very slim outside chance that with a BIOS update you could upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen. The motherboard is AM4 so it might work, but it is a slim chance.

There is no support, BIOS upgrade or otherwise for any Ryzen CPUs on that motherboard. The A10 could be stepped 'up' to a Bristol Ridge A12, but that's it .
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05408562

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Is there any limitations with the motherboard that would stop me from doing this?

Yes, there's no worthwhile upgrade to the CPU that'll work on that motherboard.

By the time you're replacing/upgrading RAM, upgrading the CPU, GPU and PSU - you may aswell pick up a non-OEM motherboard to run it all and just get away from the HP system altogether.

Given the cost of upgrades etc, personally, I'd try to sell the HP as is, and start a new build from scratch (which is essentially what you'd be doing anyway).

ejectedcasings

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Yes, there's no worthwhile upgrade to the CPU that'll work on that motherboard.

By the time you're replacing/upgrading RAM, upgrading the CPU, GPU and PSU - you may aswell pick up a non-OEM motherboard to run it all and just get away from the HP system altogether.

Given the cost of upgrades etc, personally, I'd try to sell the HP as is, and start a new build from scratch (which is essentially what you'd be doing anyway).

I see. I'd just end up sinking more money into it by trying to make it into something usable rather than just making a new PC. If that's the case, could you point me in the right direction of some parts or even a parts list?
Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I see. I'd just end up sinking more money into it by trying to make it into something usable

No, far from it. A cheap (price, not quality) PSU and a mid-range GPU and it's plenty usable.

This is literally just throwing something together to give you an idea. Not necessarily something I'd suggest you run out and buy.

Lots of different options, depending on budget for the GPU/CPU etc... and aesthetically (case, cooler, fans etc).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team MS30 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $483.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 14:33 EST-0500

Solution

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team MS30 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $483.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 14:33 EST-0500
Could go with the 2600X for an extra $10 and not have to OC the 2600. The 2600X also comes with the better cooler (Wraith Spire vs Wraith Stealth).