Question HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2040 or Dell™ Inspiron 3910?

millworker301

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I am going to be getting a senior relative a new computer this week. They use it mostly for banking and placing online bets. Maybe watch a horse race now and then. These are the 2 that I am going to choose from. The processor speed seems faster on the HP. The HP also has more RAM and a larger harddrive.

What do you guys think? Both are about the same price.

Thanks

millworker301

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Basic Specs are this:

Dell

Dell™ Inspiron 3910 Desktop PC, Intel® Core™ i3, 8GB Memory, 256GB Solid State Drive, Windows® 11 Home, I3910-3492BLU-PUS

HP

HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2040 Bundle PC,AMD Ryzen 5 processor 5600G,12GB RAM,512GB SSD,Windows 11

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is a tough one, really.

If it were based on CPU alone and there was not going to be an issue updating to something newer, I would pick the Dell. Pretty much everything else screams to go with the HP, but there are some issues. The Ryzen CPU is going to want both fast and matched RAM. The speed isn't completely bad at 3200 but the mismatched size isn't doing any favors. Both of these builds will have proprietary aspects. I have seen some HP with really wonky PSU setups that are built into the case and mobo that are also off standard. I don't have adequate experience with the newer Dell units to say.

For the use case, you could go with something less expensive. If these are the only two choices, I would also choose the HP assuming no other changes are going to be made.

millworker301

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
The HP has more RAM and a bigger HD. 12GB RAM / 512GB Harddrive vs the Dell that has 8GB RAM / 256GB HD.

I am really interested in which one is the better, more reliable computer. I live 8 hrs away from the person who will have this.

They store almost no pic or docs on the computer so that isn't requiring a lot of storage space.

One big thing, at least I think it might be a big thing is the HP processor is 3.9GHz and the Dell processor is max. 4.3GHz.

HP RAM is 12 GB DDR4 3200
Dell RAM is the same

I have some computer experience but I am by no means a computer expert at all, that is why I am leaning on you guys.

USAFRet

Titan
The HP has more RAM and a bigger HD. 12GB RAM / 512GB Harddrive vs the Dell that has 8GB RAM / 256GB HD.

I am really interested in which one is the better, more reliable computer. I live 8 hrs away from the person who will have this.

They store almost no pic or docs on the computer so that isn't requiring a lot of storage space.

One big thing, at least I think it might be a big thing is the HP processor is 3.9GHz and the Dell processor is max. 4.3GHz.

HP RAM is 12 GB DDR4 3200
Dell RAM is the same

I have some computer experience but I am by no means a computer expert at all, that is why I am leaning on you guys.
Reliability - flip a coin

For the stated use, "processor speed" is irrelevant.