Question hp pavilion slimline s5640kr won't run ddr3 gpus anymore, but ddr2 still works?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
please help me with my problem with video cards for my hp pavilion slimline s5640kr(stock psu, hp 2701c0) desktop. i have 4 gpus:

A - gt635(ddr3, 64bit, 1gb)
B - 8300gs(ddr2, 64bit, 256mb)
C - radeon hd 7000(ddr3, 64bit, 1gb, black fan)
D - radeon hd 7000(ddr3, 64bit, 1gb, red fan)

A was my main gpu and B was a backup. after a thunderstorm and brief blackout, A would no longer work so i have been using B. washing and multiple tries to heat gun A did not fix it. rarely will it give a signal when i boot and most of the time it will give a black screen as the fan spins and the computer continues to load windows. when A does work, it will turn off on its own at any time. i was able to get into windows with A and got cpu-z details but the computer read it as a basic display device, not a gpu with a name and brand. A's other details would not show up either. Then it died.

i bought C as a replacement for A since the specs were identical or close to each other. the seller did not have a machine for testing but it had a low price so i went for it. it did not work. i showed videos of C and the black screen and later B with windows just to prove that my desktop was not broken. we tried to troubleshoot it to no avail. we agreed that it was defective so i was refunded.

i bought D hoping that it would work and this time the seller showed me a video of the gpu working before i paid and had it shipped to my address. when i got it, black screen and fan spinning.

A, C, and D will give a black screen, the fan will spin, and you will see the hard drive light and blink as the computer proceeds to windows.

i've removed the cmos battery on the mobo hoping that it would help. no. i've also formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows to no luck.

now i'm not sure what the problem is and why ddr3 gpus will no longer work on my computer. can the power supply be insufficient to power ddr3 gpus but not my ddr2 gpu? is the gpu slot damaged? i can't say yes or no to any of them because as ddr2 gpu still works and the others won't. i looked for a downloadable bios for my mobo, there isn't and hp's update service says that my machine is up to date.

i just want one of the ddr3 gpus to work.

help please.

Lutfij

Titan
All of the GPU's you've listed above, require that a PSU delivers at least 300W of power for the entire system(with either of those GPU's populating the PCIe slot. You mention that you're on the stock PSU, which is shown to be 220W. How old is the PSU in your build?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
All of the GPU's you've listed above, require that a PSU delivers at least 300W of power for the entire system(with either of those GPU's populating the PCIe slot. You mention that you're on the stock PSU, which is shown to be 220W. How old is the PSU in your build?
They are all sff cards btw. A use to work perfectly but now its problematic so i'm not sure if power supply is the problem. I'm not sure how old the PSU is, i got this desktop used and added the gpu and a 1tb. so far no other components have had issues, just the gpu.

i might test the cards on another desktop if i can find one nearby that can accommodate them. if they work then its my mobo or gpu that has a problem.

i've also thought of changing/testing with another gpu on my mobo but i don't have a backup psu. i just might bring it to shop and do all the testing there.

my desktop is sff, will a non dff psu work on this provided its of the same output? will a higher output be better/not advisable?

(my pc is now on a surge protected power supply. though there's no battery, i'd rather have it shutdown abruptly than accept an unexpected surge and have more components damaged)

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
went to a technician today...
  • i forgot to bring C as I brought D
  • D did not work at all on my machine or on any of theirs
  • A worked fine all the way to my machine reading it, windows auto correcting the resolution, then we manually had a shutdown after 15mins. we turned it on again and it was still ok for another 10mins. this was with the same psu. A also worked on their other machines. when i got home it started to act up again. initially once the windows logo came out a garbled screen followed then it shutdown but the computer proceeded to windows. after cleaning the contacts on the gpu and the mobo, it went into windows in 800x600. once windows auto corrected the resolution, it beeped meaning it was disconnecting, never reconnected, and there was no display. the 2nd issue happened twice. this happened too before i brought it to the technician. i was manually installing drivers for A when it had to turn off as the drivers were being loaded but it never turned on again though my pc continued.
  • i'll bring C tomorrow with me to the shop
  • B still works flawlessly
i'll be back at the shop tomorrow and though i'd hate to do it, i'll ask that they change the power supply even if there does not seem to be anything wrong with it or i might leave it there for further troubleshooting and observation.

Last edited:

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
199380419_10220367311994433_6459847009689572462_n.jpg

i thought that the 635 would require more power, turns out it was the 8300 that needs 5watts more. so if my psu can supply 40watts withouth an issue to to the 8300, why does it conk out with the 635 when the 635 worked perfectly earlier and with other mobos at the shop?