Question HP Pavilion touchpad intermittently disappears ?

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Starting a few days ago, the touchpad on my HP Pavilion laptop began failing intermittently, usually, as best I can tell, after resuming following locking my system. I am Windows 10, no recent updates, changes, or difference in usage.

When the problem happens, there is no cursor seen on the screen, and the touchpad appears to do nothing at all. If I go to Start/Settings/Devices, Touchpad doesn't even appear in the list.

This problem is described online by multiple reports, but it is never described (as far as I've seen) as a recurring, intermittent issue.

Observations.

The problem is always resolved (so far) by a reboot. But of course that is a pain to do on a regular basis.

When the touchpad works, it works perfectly. Also, if I navigate to Touchpad, I can get to Update Driver but it says the driver is the most current one available, so there is nothing to be updated.

Everything else (keyboard, touchscreen) works all the time. All mouse buttons are integrated into the touchpad, so when it fails, no pointing or clicking (or scrolling) is possible through the mouse/touchpad.

The problem is intermittent, and other than the partial association to locking/resuming the system, I can not detect or predict when or why this problem does or does not occur. And once it spontaneously fails, it does not spontaneously resolve. A reboot is always necessary.

Ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
HP Pavilion laptop
HP have a number of laptop under their Pavilion series/range, what is the model for your unit?

I am Windows 10, no recent updates, changes, or difference in usage.
What version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

Can you check and see what your BIOS version for your laptop is at this moment of time? If the laptop isn't brand new, you could try an disassemble the laptop to gain access to the ribbon cable for the touch/trackpad, then reseat it(while the laptop is powered down ofc) and see if the issue was all down to an improper connection. What you're describing is probably a loose connection leading to power or connectivity failure.

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
HP Pavilion laptop
HP have a number of laptop under their Pavilion series/range, what is the model for your unit?

I am Windows 10, no recent updates, changes, or difference in usage.
What version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

Can you check and see what your BIOS version for your laptop is at this moment of time? If the laptop isn't brand new, you could try an disassemble the laptop to gain access to the ribbon cable for the touch/trackpad, then reseat it(while the laptop is powered down ofc) and see if the issue was all down to an improper connection. What you're describing is probably a loose connection leading to power or connectivity failure.
Thank you for your help.

HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-cd2xxx

Windows 10 Home
10.0.19044 Build 19044

BIOS Version AMI F.06

I considered a loose cable, and I might check that out. But if it was due to a loose cable, would it always be "fixed" by doing a reboot? I'm not sure that explanation (loose cable) completely fits what I see. But I may check it anyway.

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Is this an Intel based laptop? Try these drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...r-the-11th-generation-intel-nuc-products.html

This worked for another person here recently, when there’s wouldn’t show up in windows 10

As mentioned above, it might be an intermittent caused by a loose cable
Thank you.

Do you have the link to that discussion?

The URL you provided has drivers exclusively for Intel NUC products. My laptop has an Intel (i5) processor, but it is not a NUC device. If this wasn't an oversight, could you please clarify? Thank you!

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
That is the link from the article, and he use those drivers on his laptop
Hi, thanks. But what I meant was, do you have the link to the thread where all this was discussed, and in which the link you pasted was offered as a solution? I'd like to read for myself how the guy described his issue, what others suggested, what he tried, and what he had to say exactly afterwards. That's the link I am asking for. Thanks!

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Thanks, I will reconsider this.
However, the OP in that post said that his touchpad NEVER worked on Win10 from the moment he got his machine. My issue is different, as my configuration has been working for years without problem, until very recently.

Tepid Mess

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I almost feel like this is a code overlay or memory leak problem or equivalent. Or possibly some malware. Something running, maybe something recently updated, is clobbering something that the touch pad needs.

This would possibly explain why the problem occurs intermittently and somewhat spontaneously, and also why a reboot fixes it, at least until it happens again.

Neither an outdated driver nor a loose physical connection seems to fully explain BOTH parts of this--when/why it fails and also when/how it can be fixed.