HP Pavillion DV7 Audio jack problem

agten

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
A while ago I removed my headphones from the audio jack, but the laptop still thinks it is plugged in. I see the audio volume bar going up when music is playing but its not coming out of the speakers.

Any thoughts?

Could be a "glitch" with the sound driver so try re-installing it. Failing that, the jack itself may need looking at on the inner-side (inside the laptop itself). There may be a spring clip contact which hasn't closed the speaker circuit properly when the headphones were unplugged.

Plugging in and unplugging the headphones several times in succession might be worth trying, it may fix the spring clip problem.

No need to open the jack. The spring clip should be visible on the inside edge if nothing is concealing it. Otherwise you'll have to remove whatever is hiding it first - maybe the motherboard has to come out.

Before going that far, try plugging your headphones in and out several time in succession to see if it that fixes the open circuit.

You already tried re-installing sound driver I assume? Could in fact just be a driver issue - - coincidence with headphone usage may be just that, a coincidence, when it's actually the driver.