[SOLVED] HP PC Problem

Dec 11, 2020
I have an old HP CPU PC with almost 2 GHz Processor and 1 GB ram running Win 7. Initially It was working fine. Now after a few months, It boots into WIn7, then shuts off and then restarts for second and then again shuts down ?

Does this explains indicate Faulty RAM?

Solution
on a working PC, prepare a Memtest 86 flash drive, boot from it instead, and run a RAM test for an hour or two...

Is this a desktop? Post some more specs besides just "HP CPU"

Jump into the BIOS, look for anything pertaining to system health with CPU temps, fan speeds, (many rigs demand to see some sort of CPU fan present) etc., and see if it is stable even in just the BIOS...

(Certainly, hard power-offs could be easily indicative of a failing PSU as well...)

If you have 2 RAM sticks, try just one alternately...that will rule out a failing RAM stick, although RAM would pretty rarely cause a rig to power off vice simply lock up, or blue-screen, etc...
on a working PC, prepare a Memtest 86 flash drive, boot from it instead, and run a RAM test for an hour or two...

Jump into the BIOS, look for anything pertaining to system health with CPU temps, fan speeds, (many rigs demand to see some sort of CPU fan present) etc., and see if it is stable even in just the BIOS...

(Certainly, hard power-offs could be easily indicative of a failing PSU as well...)

If you have 2 RAM sticks, try just one alternately...that will rule out a failing RAM stick, although RAM would pretty rarely cause a rig to power off vice simply lock up, or blue-screen, etc...

Reactions: hardware_000001
Solution
Dec 11, 2020
Yes. I don't know much regarding it. It was from my office.

test for an hour
It doesn't stay on until this. It will just shut it off in 5 min after first start and then repeats reboots only for 5 sec.

If you have 2 RAM sticks, try just one alternately.
I don't have them now. I 'll look into it.

Jump into the BIOS, look for anything pertaining to system health with CPU temps, fan speeds
Usually when I kept the cpu to LED TV, it works fine but rarely turns off because of less RAM I suppose. But When I connected it to CRT Monitor, this behaviour happens.

EDIT: It makes high fan speed sound when connected to CRT Monitor but not for LED TV

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be a video card issue or overheating. When was the last time system was cleaned up and new thermal paste applied to the heatsink? Good idea to clean it up. Is there a video card in it or just using onboard? Using same connections for both monitor and TV? If not, try another monitor with the same connection as the TV?