HP Posts Giant Loss Due to EDS Impairment Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The best I ever did was to quit EDS in mid 2008, right before the HP acquisition.

[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]HP Posts Giant Loss Due to Rudderless Mediocrity.[/citation]

HPs consumer products are mostly junk but their business hardware is quite nice. Their enterprise hardware is outstanding and simply won't quit.

If HP made their laptops like they make their servers their name would be much better

4745454b

Titan
Oddly enough I have a business HP and HP era compaq laptop. Both quite good. Can't say the same for my IMB laptop however.

Was never sure about the EDS merger. Not everyone can be Dell/IBM. Or should be.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]HPs consumer products are mostly junk but their business hardware is quite nice. Their enterprise hardware is outstanding and simply won't quit.If HP made their laptops like they make their servers their name would be much better[/citation]
I agree. I went to a 2-day business and server product presentation in Fort Collins. Impressive. Now they've got to get their consumer product stuff that well designed and made.

bietapico

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
My sister purchased a HP Pavillion V6 for 1000 euros...the CPU temp when there are no running tasks is between 80-82C..took it to HP and they told her that even 90C were fine, imagine. To my surprise, googled overheating problems for V6 series and it seems that there were many customers with the same problem. I never liked HP (printers specially) but I see their laptops are equally bad, bye HP.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hope this is not a recurring nightmare for past bad decisions made by their top executves. Some of their printers and noteboks feel really cheap. Too bad.

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Pretty sure this is billion "$29.7 million" ...

It seems that Meg Whitman is cleaning up the ranks and the newest products are pretty solid engineering.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
HP was really well known for their scientific tools and electronic equipment. Those were top notch stuff, they should go back to their roots and invent more useful stuff to advance mankind and not pander around with crappy PC's stuff. Their calculator department need a kick in the pants too. Those calculators used to be the best, now it's just expensive crap.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
HP has improved there laptop quality a good bit. But only in the face of competition and raised customer expectations from Apple. HP's printers are junk in my mind. I have never had one that did not have problems feeding paper. All my Epsons have been rock solid but they use super high performance nozzles in the print heads that clog when you use cheap ink. There is such a mix of good and bad at HP. WebOS should have been a success but they rushed it with to many features too fast before they had hardware to support the software.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]HP was really well known for their scientific tools and electronic equipment. Those were top notch stuff, they should go back to their roots and invent more ...[/citation] Have you not noticed they removed the word "invent" from their logo?

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]That's $450,000 per person. What happened to the good old days of just f*****g firing someone?[/citation] Hopefully some day you'll get fired the way you say.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bietapico[/nom]My sister purchased a HP Pavillion V6 for 1000 euros...the CPU temp when there are no running tasks is between 80-82C..took it to HP and they told her that even 90C were fine, imagine. To my surprise, googled overheating problems for V6 series and it seems that there were many customers with the same problem. I never liked HP (printers specially) but I see their laptops are equally bad, bye HP.[/citation]

90 C is fine because by the time the lappy dies from overheating, the warranty would've expired.

yea that will happen the day linux replaces windows as the top OS

Status
Not open for further replies.