HP Pro 3500 Graphics Upgrade

miningshark23

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
I have recently ordered an HP Pro 3500 (i5 3470, 4gb memory, 500GB HDD) as I got it for a good price.

Since it has such a weak power supply (300W) I was limited with my choice of GPU, I chose the GTX750Ti as it is the best I can get for a few reasons.

I was wondering if this, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti SC 2 GB SuperClocked Graphics Card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SBYFX1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_s0FCwbYE3QPBJ , would fit in the system (both case and MoBo are concerns) or if it doesn't is there a better option

Solution
Right. Here's a pcpartpicker list that is as close as I can get it to your pc. Look at the wattage it's drawing. It's about 220 watts, and that's normal usage. Under loads like gaming, that will be more stress on the psu, which means the pc pulls higher wattage, which probably means you'll be using 250+ watts. OEM powers supplies aren't exactly known for their quality either, so it might not even be able to achieve the full 300 watts.

Point is, It really isn't something I'd recommend, but if you're absolutely police you want to do it, then the only way to know for sure is to get a measuring tape and see if there will be enough room, or to buy it and see if it'll fit and return it if it doesn't.

Lord_Sunday123

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
On a 300 watt psu, I wouldn't run any gpu. That really isn't enough power. Even IF it doesn't immediately cause problems, you'll probably be drawing at over 80% power at all times, and that can be very bad for all the parts in your system.

At the very least, get a cheap 500w psu and use that instead.

Lord_Sunday123

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Right. Here's a pcpartpicker list that is as close as I can get it to your pc. Look at the wattage it's drawing. It's about 220 watts, and that's normal usage. Under loads like gaming, that will be more stress on the psu, which means the pc pulls higher wattage, which probably means you'll be using 250+ watts. OEM powers supplies aren't exactly known for their quality either, so it might not even be able to achieve the full 300 watts.

Point is, It really isn't something I'd recommend, but if you're absolutely police you want to do it, then the only way to know for sure is to get a measuring tape and see if there will be enough room, or to buy it and see if it'll fit and return it if it doesn't.

Solution

Archie14

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

hi, just wanna add some question will it be possible to upgrade the psu itself with this build?