Question Hp probook 450 g7 i5 10th generation charging issue

Oct 3, 2024
I have an HP ProBook 450 G7 laptop with an Intel Core i5 10th generation processor. I was trying to install a new M.2 NVMe SSD, but accidentally dropped a screw onto the motherboard's circuitry. This caused a spark. Since then, my laptop can't charge its battery, although it works normally when plugged in. The attached images show the damage to the circuit board. Is there a way to repair this issue?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The attached images show the damage to the circuit board.
You might want to host your images on a site like Imgur or their ilk and then parse a link to said album/images for us to see.

I was trying to install a new M.2 NVMe SSD, but accidentally dropped a screw onto the motherboard's circuitry. This caused a spark.
I have a sneaky suspicion that you didn't disconnect the internal battery from the laptop while you were installing the SSD. From the sound of it, you might've fried the part of the motherboard that deals with the power delivery for your laptop's battery. You're going to need a multimeter and identify where the shorted or blown componentry is. It should be visible to the naked eye and be around the same place where you dropped the screw. What follows next would be desoldering the blown power component and resoldering it with a replacement part.