[SOLVED] HP ProLiant ML110 G6, BIOS resets itself after booting up

Oct 12, 2019
Hey. So I've got an "ultra gaming budget pc" 9 months ago, not a new one but we can say a refurbished one that works just fine and his model is: Hp ProLiant ML110 G6 Server (it's a server basically, but it is working fine for gaming and other stuff, as you get what you pay). So for 7-8 months the server was booting fine and without having any BIOS reset problem every time I plug in the cables of the PC , I hear a "click sound" the fans start to spin on max speed for 1 second then it makes a "click sound" again and after 5 seconds it does again that "clicking sound" and the fans start to spin at full speed again for 15 seconds after that it finally POST-s and the famous "HP Splash Screen" appears while resetting every single setting in the BIOS to it's default state. This happens every single time I plug in the pc cables in socket. I tried to replace the CMOS battery with a new one but it's still the same. Hope I provided enought details of the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
And it wasnt an old battery stored in the drawer for a couple of years ?

The way to go is to make yourself sure, that things really are as you know they should be.
Verification if you like.
This was my important role back in the 70'es as an Airforce electronics engineer.

Remove that battery, check the voltage is some 3.1V, and check the battery socket.

Oct 12, 2019
And it wasnt an old battery stored in the drawer for a couple of years ?

The way to go is to make yourself sure, that things really are as you know they should be.
Verification if you like.
This was my important role back in the 70'es as an Airforce electronics engineer.

Remove that battery, check the voltage is some 3.1V, and check the battery socket.

I've checked the voltage of the actual cmos battery and it was 1.45~ sitting at this voltage, but i had a completely new battery unused from last year , i've checked it as well and it was sitting around 0.04 voltage. I didn't really believed those results to be really accurate cuz i tested the voltage with a cheap multimeter. I guess I should try it with a brand-new untouched 3V battery and reply back. One last question, that server has an Intel Xeon X3430 CPU and in the intel's page it states that this cpu can go up to 2.8 GHz with Turbo Boosting but I only get 2.53 GHz with Turbo Boosting and it doesn't even move, it just stuck there, my cpu temps are so low, i have a great cooling system which temps never go higher than 60 C in max load, is this bios related issue? Cuz i'm going to upgrade the bios to the newest one for this server (Actual BIOS Version: HP O27, 12/14/2009 , trying to update to HP O27 08/26/2011 -the latest one) and yeah i've got the bios update file.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
You will have to look closely in the mobo manual to verify how to set CPU clock rate.
Also you are sure its the right CPU you are looking at spec for, - not a dash something or so ?

BTW remove the mains cord from the pc, wait 5 mins, then check if there is a short on the Cmos battery socket, it should read very high ohms.

Oct 12, 2019
You will have to look closely in the mobo manual to verify how to set CPU clock rate.
Also you are sure its the right CPU you are looking at spec for, - not a dash something or so ?

BTW remove the mains cord from the pc, wait 5 mins, then check if there is a short on the Cmos battery socket, it should read very high ohms.
Yes ma fella, of course I am sure what i'm talking about, I am dealing with such things since 6 years ago. But didn't really felt it that much last years. This motherboard doesn't even have any manual , also as far as i know server motherboards doesn't support overclocking most of the time , especially the motheboard of this server. Alright, I get that i can't overclock but why it doesn't turbo boost the cpu at its own Turbo Boosting value when the motherboard itself states that it has Turbo Boosting? You can google the Server and check its manual , but i think upgrading the bios might do something

P.S: I also have the option setting in the bios for Enabling and Disabling the Turbo Boost, it was on all this time an still does nothing

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Allright fella.

I am not an expert on HP proLiant servers.
But any bios upgrade would be a known good path forward.

Take it from there and let me know if you are still stuck.
I may be a dumb old git, but I still want to learn :)

Oct 12, 2019
Allright fella.

I am not an expert on HP proLiant servers.
But any bios upgrade would be a known good path forward.

Take it from there and let me know if you are still stuck.
I may be a dumb old git, but I still want to learn :)

Aight fella, as I said Upgrading the BIOS might do something, it actually did a lot. The BIOS reset issue dissapeared like with MAGIC. I guees it fixed lots of things on my pc which I didn't even faced them yet, but i think it failed at the CPU 'Turbo Boost' problem, the cpu clock rate still stays at 2526.62 MHz without even moving a single herts, that one hertz tho. And don't say so. You are really good indeed. I don't doubt on your knowledge. :)

P.s: I've heard about a method of overclocking on un-overclocking mobos, it had a name like 'RW-Everything' which changes the bits of hardware manually for example in the PLL chip a.k.a Clock Generator. Have you ever heard about it?
Thanks for the time and your help, much appreciated!