HP PSC 1610 Error

Sleigh-rider

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I have an HP PSC 1610xi all-in-one printer. I refilled the HP 94 black cartridge and was able to print about four pages without any problems. I now get an error " remove and check right cartridge". I purchased a new cartridge which works fine. Every time I put the refilled cartridge back into the printer, it gives me that error. My question is is there some way to reset that error so that I may use the refilled cartridge. Thanks to anyone who can help.

G

I have discovered how to perform a full reset of the HP PSC 1610, which clears all the internal memory, thereby fixing the "remove and check right cartridge" problem.

To perform a full reset of the HP PSC 1610:
1. Unplug the power cord.
2. Press and hold the OK and CANCEL buttons on the front panel keypad.
3. While still holding the buttons, plug the power cord back in. Continue to hold the buttons for two seconds, and then release them.
4. After a few seconds, the screen will display the message “Deriv Clear” confirming that the reset is done.

I have discovered that the HP PSC 1610 all-in-one printer has a hidden diagnostic mode, which lets you do several interesting things.

To enter the hidden diagnostic mode of the HP PSC 1610:
1. tap both arrow keys simultaneously.
2. tap the left arrow key.
3. tap the OK key.
4. At this point, you have a choice to make. If you want to enter the "Service" menu, tap the left arrow key. If, on the other hand, you want to get into the "Underware" menu, tap the right arrow key.

There is a menu option in the "Underware" menu called "printer-mech button tap", from which you can initiate any of HP's "tap tests," so called because, on the early HP printers whose onboard user interface was limited to two physical buttons, you would tell the printer which diagnostic test you wanted it to perform by holding down one of the buttons while tapping the other button a certain number of times. In the HP literature, the various diagnostic tests that the printer can do are named according to the number of button taps required to initiate the test. Hence, HP might refer to "tap test #6", "tap test #9", and so forth.
I am not sure what all of the various tap tests do, but I would imagine there is probably a tap test that resets the internal counter responsible for making the printer reject the cartridges.

fdproxy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Use "tap test" number 10 (ten). Feed the printer one paper sheet. A diagnostic test will be printed. A message will be displayed saying that the original HP ink was depleted.

Kind regards,
Zdf