HP Releases Source Code for webOS Web Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
This needed to be open source at release. It's the only way to quickly get apps for the device but instead they basically hurt any device that runs WebOS by delaying it. Too little too late.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have a HP Touchpad, and WebOS is actually kinda awesome. It really has/had a lot of potential from a multitasking standpoint.

G

As someone who owns/uses/develops on iOS, Android AND WebOS - WebOS has a really slick UI, the default apps are great (it has the nicest version of Facebook for tablets that I've seen), the browser is pretty passable and it's far more stable than Android. However it massively falls behind on app support - those that are there are mostly bad ports of Android apps, I've not actually managed to purchase anything because HP's purchasing mechanism is clunky and won't accept my credit card, and overall community support is terrible.

Open sourcing could save it, but it remains to be seen if it's too late.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
For the love of all that is holy, does this mean that someone will finally make a browser that can download files from secure sites without 14 patches, two work-arounds, a voodoo priestess and a sacrificed chicken? PLEASE?

'Cause other than that, I love WebOS.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
WebOS beats the hell out of Android and IOS. I hope it takes off. Apps will be less of a problem if they attract lots of open source developers to the platform.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]malicemizer[/nom]uhm, does this mean they basically just gave away 2 billion dollars for free? Or something to that level?[/citation]
Not at all. They still own all the technology patents that they bought with Palm, and that was what they really paid for. Not saying that HP made a good deal. Very far from it. They screwed the pooch royally. But at this point taking WebOS open source is definitely the correct move.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]The webOS browser is the one area that does need improving as some websites don't display as they should.[/citation]
Like Gmail. That's the killer for me. I can use the built in email app to access gmail, but the web interface is far, far better, and it won't render properly. Hopefully this is step towards fixing that.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Like Gmail. That's the killer for me. I can use the built in email app to access gmail, but the web interface is far, far better, and it won't render properly. Hopefully this is step towards fixing that.[/citation]

Yeah, that's actually on Google. They don't recognize WebOS as a mobile operating system, so the new interface is expecting scroll bars on the side. What I did was to bookmark the HTML version, which plays just fine with the TP. This way, I can go to gmail via the link on my TP, but don't have to change my main Gmail settings to default to it.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]malicemizer[/nom]uhm, does this mean they basically just gave away 2 billion dollars for free? Or something to that level?[/citation]
no. it means they gave away 0 dollars for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.