HP S700 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
PS. The forum mechanism is *completely* broken. Took ages to get the page in a logged-in state to post the above (forum link doesn't work properly); I wanted to edit my message but the .co.uk site keeps redirecting incorrectly, both sites fail to remember login details, the comment submission button often produces in invalid form error... it just goes on and on. Why is the toms forum system such a mess?

Yeah, the Tom's new forums reminds me of the Intellilink episode of south park...

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/pcqo6r/intellilink-is-amazing

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
whats the point of even listing interface speed if devices dont make full use of it? interface type sure, thats important but speed is meaningless

"oh look at our drive, its 6Gb/s interface speed, and lest completely forget that we are bottlenecked at controller speed (SSD) or plate speed (HDD) maybe customer is too stupid to find out"

for HDD even SATAI was enough for most of them

when SSD started appearing SATAIII was a standard already and just, it seems that fastests SSD's in 2.5" factor form reach ~550MB/s which still has plenty of headroom in SATA3 theoretical 750MB/s

the "Technical specification" table should list actual read/write speeds first before the useless interface speed, that what an user would expect from a serious technical review site...

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Ten seconds in a search engine would find the answer. To quote MariusMatutiae from howtogeek.com:

"While data is actually sent at 6 Gb/s, it is encoded to counteract two common defects in telecommunications, DC Bias and Clock Recovery. This is often accomplished using a specific coding algorithm called 8b/10b Encoding. It is not the only encoding algorithm which has been devised to this end (there is also a Manchester encoding), but it has become the de facto standard for SATA data transfer.

In 8b/10b encoding, eight bits of signal are replaced by 10 bits of (signal + code). This means that, out of the 6 Gb the channel sends in a second, only 8/10 (4/5) are signal. 4/5’s of 6 Gb is 4.8 Gb, which in turn equals 600 MB. This is what degrades the 6 Gb/s channel into a mere(?) 600 MB/s channel.

The advantages obtained by compensating for DC bias and allowing for Clock Recovery more than compensate for this slight degradation."

In reality, with other overhead issues factored in aswell, SATA3 tops out at around 550MB/sec, as confirmed by PCIe models based on the same technology as their SATA3 counterparts.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

It is kinda nuts. I bet if mainstream and good SSDs from a few years ago were included in modern test results, instead of only current models, a lot of the current products would look pretty rotten. As long as this trend continues, I just keep looking for lightly used 840 Pro and other decent models (Vector, Neutron GTX, Vertex 4, etc.)

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.