HP Shifting Resources from PCs to Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Then why did they acquire and kill off Palm? I guess that's a mystery for the ages.[/citation]

Because they ended up fumbling it too badly to be profitable?

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Right... is that the reason my Touchpad 32GB is not being supported now? IMHO, WebOS is much more user friendly than Android from my consumer POV. Anyway, I have decided to stay away from anything HP since they don't give a xxxx about their customers. They don't even know what they are doing.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
HP makes solid wireless printers that are easy to use and set up.
HP made a decent computer once, and still probably do.
I just don't care how they screwed my aunt out of a 5 year warranty on her laptop because they outsourced the support staff, voided current warranties then as a "peace offering" told her they wouldn't support her laptop which was under warranty but would give her $100 off a new one. Before that she only bought HP and up until that point they had excellent customer service and repair support.
They REALLY tried hard to drive away their loyal customers, and that's pretty darn sad because they made good printers and pcs for so long.

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]onus[/nom]HP has forgotten that they are first and foremost a printer company. They have diluted their brand so badly it is likely it will be washed away.[/citation]

You know nothing about the origins and history of HP if you think of them as a printer company.

twelve25

Distinguished
So instead of fighting to keep first place in PCs, they decide to tack on as the caboose in a crowded tablet market? Smart move! Maybe if they are really innovative they can make it into the top 20 tablet companies with a 5% marketshare!

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Then why did they acquire and kill off Palm? I guess that's a mystery for the ages.[/citation]

Because, they had to offset the profit of selling land to Apple in fiscal year 2011 with deferred capital loss from the Palm acquisition. Besides, Palm's IP could been sold to other parties in future, in order to reverse the loss in time of lower taxable profits, i.e. like in year 2013, when projected revenue from PC will be down....
Nobody ever cared about Palm.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]onus[/nom]HP has forgotten that they are first and foremost a printer company. They have diluted their brand so badly it is likely it will be washed away.[/citation]
I'm sure people said the same thing when HP, the electronic instrumentation company, got into printers. Evolve or die. Applies to more than just animal species.

InvalidError

Titan
So HP is bailing out of a market they were semi-successful in to re-invest itself in a market where they have for the most part failed in.

Gotta love how top execs get paid big bucks to effectively ruin a company.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Oh boy. Get WebOS. Screw it up. Make it open source. Sell it to LG. re-enter the market. How about the quit this drama and stick to PCs. Their quality and customer service suck big time. How in the world are they going to compete with Samsung, Apple and others? Time will tell where this takes them.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
hahahaha, OMG. HP, you are retarded. You stand almost no chance in the tablet area and if you think tablets will ever be work machines like a desktop or laptop you are nuts!!! Imagine an emplyee getting to work in the morning at their cubicle and in place of a keyboard/mouse/20" monitor is a little 10" tablet, LOL. I can't believe how far HP has fallen, it's like they found total idiots to run the company the last few years. Shifting from PCs to tablets, hahahahahahahaha

Yes, HP made top-quality instrumentation, and brought that same quality and service to their printer business; as far as PCs are concerned, they became a printer company. Laserjets were tanks; they just worked, and were unstoppable. Now, they've forsaken all of that. Their "Universal Printing" drivers are a universal failure in managed environments. They're waffling, back and forth, in and out of markets; do they even know what they're doing, or why?

Hmmm, about to get another spammer-stain on my banhammer...

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]They are so far out of touch they make dell seem edgy and modern[/citation]

Um, Dell is awesome. Their monitors CAN'T be beat, their servers are the absolute best and their Precision workstation grade laptops are also THE most powerful out there. Dell may not be edgy I guess (don't know what that even means) but their high end products are the very best out there.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]if you think tablets will ever be work machines like a desktop or laptop you are nuts!!! Imagine an emplyee getting to work in the morning at their cubicle and in place of a keyboard/mouse/20" monitor is a little 10" tablet, LOL.[/citation]
Two words: KVM dock.

The convenience of mobility with few if any compromises.

Another option some manufacturers are exploring is 20-24" tablets that can also be used as a display for an external PC or other device.

Intel's own future plans also consider integrating the PC into displays and some PC/display manufacturers are starting to swing in that direction. We may be going back to the old Compaq/Apple all-in-one style.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I think the trap is that by the time you add this and that to the tablet, you might be better off with a notebook to begin with.

[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Um, Dell is awesome. Their monitors CAN'T be beat, their servers are the absolute best and their Precision workstation grade laptops are also THE most powerful out there. Dell may not be edgy I guess (don't know what that even means) but their high end products are the very best out there.[/citation]

someone has a dell. if you are getting high end anything it never has the word dell within 100ft except monitors and they are simply rebrands made by someone else.... mostly benq

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I'm quite sure no one is chomping at the bit for HP tablets. Everything they've done to date has been lackluster. In ten years we'll be like "Do you remember that computer company, HP? Yeah they used to be decent until they bombed everything."

Status
Not open for further replies.