[SOLVED] HP Spectre X360 - Wrong charger diagnosis

Apr 29, 2020
I have a HP Spectre X360 and I stupidly used the wrong charger as mine and a friends’ are similar. Mine is 45W and his is 65W.
After an hour ish of use, my laptop went blue screen, and a loud high pitched noise came out of my laptop (I’m guessing the discharge of excess power).
It powers on, and runs for a while, but eventually goes blue and dies. Event viewer reports error 41, loss of kernel power.
I‘m trying to figure out what I’ve damaged, but don’t currently have a Torx T5 to get it open. I would assume that the ‘intake’ for the PSU would have some kind of fail safe in it? Given that it works until a spontaneous loss of power when CPU is under a bit more load, would the power jack be a sensible place to start and just replace it?
Appreciate any help in advance!
Chris

Solution
-You can try cmos reset, power off the laptop completely. Then start holding Windows + V keys continuously, now press power button while still pressing windows + v with other hand. Release power buttton but keep pressing win+v for another 15-20seconds.

- hard reset: remove battery (just connector from motherboard if its internally connected) and power cable, then press power button for 30seconds to drain, after that plugin only power cable and try run it without battery. If it works only w/o battery then that is the fault.
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, back to the old charger. Keeps blue screening, and it let off another high pitched siren yesterday too, followed by a few low pitched humms before I turned it off, and that was after using the correct charger.

-You can try cmos reset, power off the laptop completely. Then start holding Windows + V keys continuously, now press power button while still pressing windows + v with other hand. Release power buttton but keep pressing win+v for another 15-20seconds.

- hard reset: remove battery (just connector from motherboard if its internally connected) and power cable, then press power button for 30seconds to drain, after that plugin only power cable and try run it without battery. If it works only w/o battery then that is the fault.

Solution
Apr 29, 2020
I think this is what you need from MS Info:
OS Name - Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version - 10.0.18362 - Build 18362
BIOS Version/Date - American Megatrends Inc. F.2A, 18/09/2015
SMBIOS Version - 2.8

Is that what you need?

Apr 29, 2020
I tried the CMOS reset above, didn't really notice anything happen so not sure if I did it correctly. I can't remove the battery currently as it's under the back plate and I don't currently have a T5 to open it with.

Apr 29, 2020
What bios version you currently have? Check with msinfo. Also what windows 10 build you using, 1903?

Download crystaldiscinfo and check in what condition is your hdd or ssd, whatever storage you are using for operating system.
I’ve just found in the build info that it is indeed 1903. You probably know that already, but just in case it’s helpful! Appreciate your help thus far 👍

Apr 29, 2020
I’ve followed HP’s instructions to check for BIOS updates, and apparently I have the latest installed. I’m now seeing version 1909 available, shall I update that?

Apr 29, 2020
I don’t have it, but I guess I could locate one. At the moment, I‘ve played a two hour film, and I’ve had a stress test running for the last 35 minutes, and no blue screen yet. I’m wondering if the CMOS reset could’ve done it, or one of the driver updates. I’ll keep the test running for a couple of hours and see what happens, but I remain the optimist. Will post back shortly