Hp toshiba or dell?

choocken

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello,
I hate Mac software so don't offer a Mac. I want a computer for general use. Mostly staying at one residence with little movement. I want it to process quickly and to download quickly. Mostly used for University work and general youtube-ing and other internet browsing. I will be using wifi and public provided wifi. I am considering starting online gaming. What should I get? With or without the gaming aspect?

Ive done a bit of research but i dont really know what Im doing.

Solution

Well for me, i've always liked toshiba laptops. No matter what price range i find them at, i've always found them (on the hardware side of things) working no matter what. I haven't been given a toshiba laptop as of yet that had hardware issue (all have...

decode33

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
well do not buy the low end hps or toshibas. There basic models will fail really quickly. But if you buy the high performance models of either hp or toshiba they will last four years. As for dell it is a hit or miss. Sometimes you will get a good laptop but sometimes bad. Get a laptop with i3 or pentium sandybridge. If you want gaming buy the ati 5650 or the newer one. These will play most games. Get 4gb ram. I prefer you buy sony it will last long time. Also if you buy a graphic card battery will only last half the time than without one.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
A suggestion regardless what laptop brand you get.

1. create recovery discs after you buy the laptop. You will be glad to have them in case hard drive fails and need to reinstall OS in a new drive.

2. if you are using AC adapter plugged in all the time, remove the battery. If you don't remove the battery, it will be constantly been charged and eventually will not hold charge anymore. Batteries are supposed to be charged and discharged.

popatim

Titan
Toshibas have always done well for me. I've had friends with HP's get treated horribly but when I initiate warranty service for my customers they have treated me well so I don't know how to rate them. I've never used or worked for/on Dell Laptops. Lenovo business laptops I have found are usually very solid units and I don't know how much some of my clients pay for the extra warranty but I'm always impressed when they overnight me parts. I'm sure its not cheap for that kind os service.

Well for me, i've always liked toshiba laptops. No matter what price range i find them at, i've always found them (on the hardware side of things) working no matter what. I haven't been given a toshiba laptop as of yet that had hardware issue (all have been software related such as virus, spyware, ect) and the people that hand me there computers always give me the cheap toshiba's to fix (most of them are needing them for real basic stuff).

As for what to get, that's definitely a harder question.

My question would be is what your budget?
Is there certain feature you may want for current/future use? Such as HDMI, USB 3.0, blu-ray, ect
Is there a certain screen size and resolution you want?

Overall, i would say first make a budget if you haven't and then try to fit as many of your needs and wants into that budget.

With online gaming in mind, i would say at the basic level get a laptop with a mid to low range cpu and a mid range GPU.

mid range cpu's are like the core i3
Mid range gpu are like the Nvidia geforce 540M and AMD 65xx.

A few laptops for example:

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/P770/P775D-S7302 (got a mid/high end cpu but it's cheaper than most other laptops)
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/P750/P755-S5261

Well, when you have an idea of what wants, needs, and, what the budget is, just lets us know!

Also welcome to the forums! :hello:

Cant agree more. No matter what i've thrown at my family own Toshiba and lenovo laptops, there still chugging along and im certainly a cruel person for running a certain program that takes hours to complete that uses 100% of a cpu.

3 main laptops in my house are:
Toshiba A505 with core i7 720QM and Nvidia geforce 310M (bought in May 2010
Toshiba P105 with a C2D @ 1.6GHz (Feb. 2006 or 07, cant remember)
Lenovo 3000 N200 with Pentium Dual-core @ Ghz 1.86 (March 2008) (my torture laptop for running F@H for over a year. [:graywolf:8] )

Solution

decode33

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Yup toshibas are good. I have a 2005 toshiba satellite and it is still running! Plus the parts in it are of high quality such as touchpad keyboard screen. Definately reccomend toshiba.

I would rather you go for a Asus laptop. They are the top rated in quality, include a two year warranty which also has a one year accidental warranty (meaning you can run the laptop over and they will replace it) and overal great reviews.

Dell/HP on the other hand are not so stellar. HP has had numerous recalls due to crappy mobos (even on high end ones) and Dell has just bad products overall. Toshiba is decent but still Asus is the best laptop you can buy.

I forgot about asus. [:aford10:1]

Although since i haven't messed with an Asus laptop as of yet, i cant really give my option on as how good it is.

erickreynolds

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I perfer Toshiba's laptops. I've worked with many different brands(sony, asus, dell, acer, ect.), whether during school or at work. I've seen many new computers break within the first year being MoBo, VGA, or HDD. My Toshiba laptop is now 5 years old and still kickin, no matter what I install or do with it it still works. I do suggest the higher end of Toshiba products, not because expensive is better but you want a computer to last and not become out-dated by the the time you get home and take it out of the box.

We have 1 HP, 1 mac and 2 Toshiba's in our family and they all run fine and have not had any problems up until now. What ever you do though I would stay far away from D(hell) computers wheather its laptops or desktops their stuff is just junk. I love this forum it makes me glad everyday that I got rid of our D(hell) desktop and went with HP instead. I think after reading some of the stories here I doubt you would ever buy a Dell..PERIOD!

http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB3/

We sell mainly Asus at my work. We have a few MSI and some others but mainly Asus. They have, as I said before, an excellent warranty and I have not had nearly as many Asus laptops in for repair as I have Dell/HP or even Toshiba. Asus has very high quality in most everything they do. Thats why their mobos are normally top ranked.

I ssetup a G74X with 2 SSDs. Thing was very fast. Of course it was also very large and heavy but it is a gaming grade laptop that makes the Alienware/Dell XPS gaming laptops look very bad.

Most new Asus laptops also have LED backlit screens which is a nice feature and also save power.

I still wouldn't put Toshiba in front of Asus. I like Toshiba, I suggest them or Asus, but still Asus has my recommendation for laptops.