HP Wants Back In: The Elite X3 Windows 10 Smartphone And 'Dumb' Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
This. Needs. To. Happen.

And it needs to be polished to perfection. If we get to the point of having a Windows 10 phone that handles all the normal computing tasks with access to essentially any software you care to use, this becomes an extremely attractive item. Plus the idea of a laptop shell you can just plug in and use while on the go or in the classroom? Brilliant. There are so many people who could (and should) just skip the desktop PC entirely with something like this. I hope they continue to pursue this idea!

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Do the same with Atom + "normal" W10 and I'm in! I expected MS to do it with once Continuum was first talked of, but so far nothing... Why-oh-why? Alas, still we're so close yet - out of reach.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Before you can travel anywhere with mobile hardrives or thumb drives, but limited only to files and not functions. I'd say, a 'dumb laptop' and a 'dumb desktop', is a great idea.. and carry your phone everywhere...

g-unit1111

Titan
I used a Microsoft Lumia 950XL over the weekend and it's an incredibly solid phone, but it needs more app support to be able to compete with Android and iOS. This HP phone seems like it's even a step up from the 950. Maybe having more manufacturers onboard and offering solid hardware will encourage more app makers to develop for the WP10 mobile platform.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I take issue with the comment that HP didn't make any sensible smart phones before this,I fondly remember my iPaq 610 business messenger that ran Windows Mobile,the phone was solid and quick, only issue I had was that four years after I purchased it the cpu started overheating and caused all kinds of headaches. Im disappointed with this latest phone as it doesn't have a keyboard,im sorry I cant deal with a non physical keyboard,since my lg quantum's touch screen died I moved onto a lumia 520 and I just HATE not having a keyboard,so many typing errors...

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
I'm just hoping that htc and Oculous are making a good margin on this, so that even if they dont sell much they can make some money. They better not be counting on these things to fly off the shelf. 2 years from now, when there are lots of games, a new revision comes out that is better and only $500-$700, and PC hardware has moved up a step, then more people will adopt it. Its a scary situtation where no games means no adoption, and no adoption means no games. But if it works, we could see some truely interesting new games, with the bigest technological change in games since real time 3-d rendering. Im cautiously optimistic despite the prices. Better to provide a kick ass experience at a high price now then to sell them for $300 and have it fade away 2 years from now. *fingers crossed*

alextheblue

Distinguished
Now that sounds like a phone I'd like to have... hope Verizon pick this up since the bastages didn't pick up the 950 series.

Maybe having more manufacturers onboard and offering solid hardware will encourage more app makers to develop for the WP10 mobile platform.

Well the beauty of UWP is that you can develop for the greater Win10 platform and use the same codebase.

Status
Not open for further replies.