Question HP Z620 Top GPU slot not working

Feb 5, 2024
Hello everyone. I really hope somebody will be able to help. I have a HP Z620 that I am trying to use a graphics card in. I bought it used and it had a nvidia nvs 315 card in the bottom pcie slot. So, I am trying to use a gtx 760 temporarily until I upgrade. Being that the bottom slot is very close it barely fits the gtx 760 with basically 0 airflow. For some reason the computer goes into error mode with red beeps if there is no gpu in the bottom slot. In other words. the top pci slot is not detecting a gpu at all. I even checked the bios and all slots are enabled. This is very frustrating so figured I would see if anyone idea what this issue is caused by. Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a HP Z620
Prebuilt with SandyBridge platform;
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03270936
+ comes with an 800W unit, unless you have another unit in your yours.

How old is the PSU in your build? If the PSU came with the prebuilt, from the factory, then the unit's 12years old to date. A PSU that old won't output the same amount of power as it did when brand new.

With your older GPU in, did you check to see if the prebuilt is pending any BIOS updates?

Feb 5, 2024
Thanks for the response. I did update the bios. I do not think it is a power issue as the old and new gpus both function when in the bottom slot. They only do not function if they are in the top slot. Seems the top slot is not detecting gpu.

Big question do you have all the original HP Z620 drivers installed. Check your device manager for any yellow check marks.

I have a Z 620 and there are 3 original drivers that when installing windows you don't get with windows updates.

And the nice thing is HP has removed them from there web site. It took some digging but found each one and like your saying that top PCI-E slot had issues until drivers were installed.

Now in my top slot is a GTX 690 . Give me a min and I will post the driver packages I found that fixed it. I need to fire the HP up.

Feb 5, 2024
Thank you very much for your response. It is possible the original drivers are not installed as I purchased this used and it seems the previous owner had just installed windows 10 on it but was only using the bottom pvi e slot. Please let me know if you find those driver packages that would be a great help.

RSTe_f6_iaStorS_win8_win10_64

HP sp69506

Correction there were these two that are MIA on HP's site but play a major part of having your HP z620 fully functional.

The thing is there hard as heck to find out there in the wild. But if you look hard enough you will find them as well.

Feb 5, 2024
rom there web site. It took some digging but found each one and like your saying that top PCI-E slot had iss
RSTe_f6_iaStorS_win8_win10_64

HP sp69506

Correction there were these two that are MIA on HP's site but play a major part of having your HP z620 fully functional.

The thing is there hard as heck to find out there in the wild. But if you look hard enough you will find them as well.
Hmmm I checked my device manager and did not find any driver issues. Starting to wonder if it's a hardware thing, although hopefully there is another way to resolve it.

TRENDING THREADS