[SOLVED] HPZ400 turns itself off ?

Jan 15, 2021
Hi
I tried to use my computer but when I pressed the power button it turned on for three seconds and then turned off. Yesterday I had the same problem but for whatever reason it started to work out of nowhere (after several tries) and then I turned off my computer for the night and now this morning I had the same problem (boots up for 3 seconds and turns off again)

Here's what I've tried.
  1. new CMOS battery - still nothing
  2. disconnect graphics card - still nothing
  3. Ram cards removed and moved around - still nothing
The light next to my power button (hard drive activity light) remains on for whatever reason. I'm not sure if that adds anything.

I'm out of options. I don't know what to do anymore. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Solution
It's okay, I can see the specs through a search for that model.

Yes, that trick may work, but chances are it will stop working again pretty soon. A replacement will be the best solution.

Not all PSU's are made equal. Specially for the larger companies, they use generic PSU's which aren't very good. They are mostly built with saving money in mind, and so they aren't the best at all.
Jan 15, 2021
Hey there,

List your PC specs. It sounds like it's power related, so possible PSU issues.

I'm not sure how I can post the specs because my computer won't boot up for longer than three seconds. Is there any other way I can see the specs? It's a HPZ400 8gb ram Nvidia Quadro 4000

EDIT: I was checking out a yt video and there's a trick with a blow dryer where you dry hot air into the back of the computer's PSU and it actually worked. My computer boots now but I still want to know what's causing the problem. Do you have any idea what the cause could be?

Last edited:

Yes, that trick may work, but chances are it will stop working again pretty soon. A replacement will be the best solution.

Not all PSU's are made equal. Specially for the larger companies, they use generic PSU's which aren't very good. They are mostly built with saving money in mind, and so they aren't the best at all.

Solution
Jan 15, 2021
Hey there,

List your PC specs. It sounds like it's power related, so possible PSU issues.

I was checking out a yt video and there's a trick with a blow dryer where you dry hot air into the back of the computer's PSU and it actually worked. But I still want to know what's causing the problem.

It worked for like fifteen minutes before it died on me again. I was worried that it might have been the motherboard. I'll just buy a new PSU.

Thank you so much for the help!

I was checking out a yt video and there's a trick with a blow dryer where you dry hot air into the back of the computer's PSU and it actually worked. But I still want to know what's causing the problem.

It worked for like fifteen minutes before it died on me again. I was worried that it might have been the motherboard. I'll just buy a new PSU.

Thank you so much for the help!

No problem. Glad to help. Let us know how you get on, and then we can close the thread.

This is specifically not true for the workstations that Dell and HP make--I have several of them and the components used in these are well underrated for their capacity and durability.
The current PSU I have is 475 watt so I just ordered the EVGA 600w. I'll give an update when it arrives.
Check your motherboard power connector and also the power supply area to make sure a standard unit will fit/work. A lot of the HP z-series have proprietary parts (but good ones that you can find pretty cheap--I got a whole case for my z420 with power supply for $75 shipped).