HTC Bundles Vive HMD With GTX 1070, PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, hence "need" vs. "want," I guess. If you actually want to finance it rather than paying it in full, okay. I don't see why you would if you have the money, but okay. But if the only way you can afford one is by spending money you don't have, that's the first sign that you shouldn't be buying one.

If you keep a certain amount in your account for emergencies, it might be helpful.

But it's still not a good deal. Right now, the best options are getting an Oculus Rift, waiting for better VR headsets to launch (like LG's SteamVR headset), or waiting for a price drop on the Vive.

I mean, this is $1176 for the Vive with a graphics card. The Rift has been bundled with a complete PC for less than that.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
How safe is it to have to pay interest over time and spend more money overall?! This does NOT even begin to compute. Self delusion much?

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Seriously people should NOT even finance their cars. If the "target" purchase can NOT generate more monetary returns over time, then financing it only increases your costs and takes more money from you. Real estate tend to make sense to finance, because real estate in a decent neighborhood gets more expensive over time because of population growth and constrained supply of land, and in the U.S. you get tax deductions on interest. But even then buying more house than you need, just to pay more interest to the banks only get a fraction of that back from tax deduction is utterly nonsensical. Live debt free people, it is the best thing you can do for yourself, having a leaky bucket funneling money to the banks is the surest way to keep yourself poor for your entire life.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Well, my rule is always that you should only ever finance cars, houses, and college. Because these things are generally so expensive as to make financing necessary. Unless you want to save up $50k before going to college or save up $400k before buying your first house. Good luck with that.

But there are always exceptions. Say your washing machine or your stove dies. Well, you kinda need those things. If they break at an inopportune time financially, well, okay, the smart thing to do is finance that. Or for instance you could spend your life driving 15+ years-old used cars that you only ever pay cash for. That's my current mode of living, but I gotta tell ya, I'm getting pretty tired of driving old cars. Quality of life kinda stuff. So I'm probably going to finance my next car.

But something like a Vive and its associated gaming computer/peripherals? Uhhhhhhhh, financing that is just dumb. It's not even slightly a necessity. Just save up the money. Some would probably say "Oh, it's credit-building," but it's probably actually detrimental to your credit score in both the short- and long-term. If you open too many lines of credit, and/or the average age of your credit lines is too low, that hurts your score, regardless of whether or not you've never missed a payment.

What do you think you're doing when you put it on a credit card? Financing... Yeah, 30 days same as cash (or however long before the billing cycle ends, depending on how your card issuer defines it... maybe even 0 days!)

Status
Not open for further replies.