HTC, LG and Asus Also Caught Inflating Mobile Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Might explain why the LG optimus G CPU benchmarks higher than the nexus 4 even though the hardware is exactly the same. (Given same version of android, I think 4.3 gave the N4 a boost)

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Who cares? Inflating or lying about benchmarks is one thing, the device actually pumping out those bench results is another. If the cpu runs at its max clock on all cores and scores higher than a similar device with the same CPU who cares?? That just means that the one device will run its self full throttle while the other might have a quad core but it never clocks up or enables all the cores and is therefor SLOWER.

If my intel i7 benches higher than an identical i7 in a single threaded app because mine has turbo boost enabled makes me a cheater?

To me it's not an issue. Only because I already dismiss most of the benchmarks since they are synthetic and only tell you what the max it could do on that OS with that hardware at those specs.

Its the same with desktop CPUs and GPUs. Synthetics are an example of a perfect world situation.

To know if a device is right for you, the best way is to actually use the product and see.

The S4 is a great phone. Considering that they all use similar hardware, then its all up to brand preference and a few other features like screen type and size etc.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Where are all the indignant ratchetjaw commenters ready to crucify Samsung, now?
Samsung may have discovered what others were doing and decided to work on a solution, MobileBench.

Bolts Romano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
How many of you cares about the benchmark seriously. Not me , i think only few people. This is a mobile phone , not a workstation or game rigs Puhleease

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

You're completely missing the point here. These phones are running code that forces the CPU to run at full clocks on all cores, only when benchmarking apps are running. This isn't typical behavior for the processors and the phones do in fact perform very similarly under "normal" usage conditions. Normally, the phone will only clock up the cores necessary to complete the task it's performing and not necessarily run those cores at full clock speed. The manufacturers are actually tampering with how the processor is designed to function, to get higher benchmark scores.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

You're completely missing the point here. These phones are running code that forces the CPU to run at full clocks on all cores, only when benchmarking apps are running. This isn't typical behavior for the processors and the phones do in fact perform very similarly under "normal" usage conditions. Normally, the phone will only clock up the cores necessary to complete the task it's performing and not necessarily run those cores at full clock speed. The manufacturers are actually tampering with how the processor is designed to function, to get higher benchmark scores.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
what's new....speed is nothing if you have all that crapware runing in the background...i wished android phones did away with all the apps that no one uses

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep... The twiaked CPU claims to be faster, but in real aplication it is not. It is cheating in big way. If it would run all cores high in all situations, it would be different, but running faster only in some benchmark aplications is lying.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Smartphone benchmarks are irrelevant for 99.9% of the users and the apps they use...people should careless about this, for now.

Zenuts

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
"Android benchmark inflating seems to be common practice except for Apple (...)"
I got kinda confused on the title. Understood it reading on, but I lol'd at this xD.

Status
Not open for further replies.