HTC One X+ Announced With Quad-core 1.7 GHz Tegra 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The original OneX was already a battery muncher, so they decided to stick a faster SoC into it? lol.
Anyway, loving all this competition. Lots of great choice out there and many more by the end of the year.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]spleenbegone[/nom]I'm due for a new phone in November. I was debating what to get until I saw this.[/citation]

I'd only recommend Samsung Android phones since they provide the best updates for phones.
Get an HTC, LG, Motorola (past ones) and you're stuck after 6-12 months with no more OS updates supported by the manufacturer.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]I'd only recommend Samsung Android phones since they provide the best updates for phones.Get an HTC, LG, Motorola (past ones) and you're stuck after 6-12 months with no more OS updates supported by the manufacturer.[/citation]

By your reasoning, you should only consider Nexus phones. My GS3 is still waiting for its JB OTA update, HTC announced One X and S to get JB this month, so really I dont think Samsung is any better than other manufacturers.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]The original OneX was already a battery muncher, so they decided to stick a faster SoC into it? lol.Anyway, loving all this competition. Lots of great choice out there and many more by the end of the year.[/citation]

The battery has been upgraded to 2100mah though, and if you root/s-off (which I assume readers here do) then underclocking/undervolting is a viable option.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]dyc4ha[/nom]By your reasoning, you should only consider Nexus phones. My GS3 is still waiting for its JB OTA update, HTC announced One X and S to get JB this month, so really I dont think Samsung is any better than other manufacturers.[/citation]

I think you do not completely understand what I am saying. Being the first out with an update is not my point. Samsung is going to have both the S2 and S3 on JB. It is probably going to be the S3 first but they will support the S2 as well.

Nothing you mentioned does not contradict what I said that HTC, LG, Motorola typically only provide updates for 6-12 months. Will the above manufacturers support phones that are ~2 years old on JB? S2 will be close to 2 years old and it will support JB by the end of the year.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]i love HTC! this model will perform better than S3(no hate but i hope it does perform better)and definitely looks better![/citation]
It looks a little intsy bit better but I don't think it'll perform much better. Doesn't it have half the RAM at 1GB?

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
What, no "Apple is better" responses yet?
Must be a slow day, or...
All the iSheep are using maps and got lost on the way to the article.

On the Bright side, first of the year and I get my upgrade, glad some of the quad cores are going to be out then.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]...On the Bright side, first of the year and I get my upgrade, glad some of the quad cores are going to be out then.[/citation]
...and what will you use quad cores for on your phone? My SGSIII with dual-cores is plenty nasty-fast.

G

Android fanboy like tobalaz loves to provoke a war then blames Apple users

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I will be able to upgrade to a new phone in Nov so still looking at the Samsung S3 since I have the first gen Galaxy phone which is the Epic. It's nice now new phones with quad core processors are becoming the norm but what about battery life? I mean I want a phone that last an entire day with moderate use and is it that hard to ask? Then give us a bigger battery so we can shut the hell up and by happy!

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]I think you do not completely understand what I am saying. Being the first out with an update is not my point. Samsung is going to have both the S2 and S3 on JB. It is probably going to be the S3 first but they will support the S2 as well.Nothing you mentioned does not contradict what I said that HTC, LG, Motorola typically only provide updates for 6-12 months. Will the above manufacturers support phones that are ~2 years old on JB? S2 will be close to 2 years old and it will support JB by the end of the year.[/citation]

When the day S2 actually gets JB OTA, I will give you the point. Samsung did not make any official timetables for the release for older model phones; which again was my point: Samsung is not any better than other manufacturers regarding updates. FYI HTC Incredible S just got ICS, granted its not JB, but a 1-2 year old phone is still being updated nevertheless.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
After buying a nexus 7, I just want to make something clear:
If you plan on playing intensive games, stay away from any device with a tegra3 SoC.
It's simply trash all around, even with a big CPU and GPU OC to 1.5ghz and 650mhz respectively, it still lags behind other chips because the single channel memory controller is a big bottleneck.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]I will be able to upgrade to a new phone in Nov so still looking at the Samsung S3 since I have the first gen Galaxy phone which is the Epic. It's nice now new phones with quad core processors are becoming the norm but what about battery life? I mean I want a phone that last an entire day with moderate use and is it that hard to ask? Then give us a bigger battery so we can shut the hell up and by happy![/citation]
Quad cores in a phone is sick and all but I bet its not so good for battery life.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hope they have fixed the problem with HOX, HTC One X, users getting bad batches of Gorilla Glass. I need a robust phone, and so far have not been impressed by the reviews of the GS3 or the HOX.

TO BE FAIR, I haven't looked properly into the GS3 other than youtube vids. With the HOX only read forums of people complaining about the glass. Other than that they seem solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.