HTC Unveils World's First 1080p Smartphone HTC J Butterfly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]They may never catch up to desktop workstations, but the ultra-mobile form factor will eventually cross a performance threshold, providing users the processing muscle to run content creation and productivity software effectively from a smartphone sized device. Basically it'll be 'fast enough', where the convenience of a pocket sized device may out-way the performance benefits of a desktop workstation for some users. I sure hope you weren't saying the same thing about laptops a decade ago.I don't think the comment you were responding to was 'declaring' a smartphone or tablet take over, and I'm personally tired of shortsighted enthusiasts who feel threatened into hysteria at the prospect of a future paradigm shift in the tech industry. Performance desktops/workstations aren't going anywhere, don't worry.[/citation]
gonna have to disagree.

your idea only works in a world where content creation in 2020 will still be using the by-then-antiquated cutting-edge software from 2012. If content creation in 2020 means creating outdated content then sure... maybe a top of the line 2020 phone will be able to run 2012 CAD software... (those phones coming with 128gb ram too?). Keep in mind that you'll be creating content that is astronomically behind the cutting edge of 2020. have fun with that.

G

colorblue, can you tell me then why intel is pushing so hard to get into the mobile market? Within 8 years, the primary computing form factor is expected to be handsets... This is intel's prediction, not mine. Why is Windows 8 pushing so hard to integrate touch? I do believe they know their market a bit better than you or me.

Yes, workstations will remain workstations but at a certain point, and in my opinion we have reached that point, the average computer user will gain no significant benefit from increased processing power. Not my average user is the guy who is sitting at his desk, checking email, watching movies etc. Artists and other power users will of course always utilize full workstations with the power provided their in but their numbers will be the minority.

This is simply the laptop migration continued.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]don't be a fool...smartphones will NEVER match CAD workstations nor will they come anywhere close. Do you have any idea what the specs are on workstations for CAD, Maya, Max, Vue???http://www.boxxtech.com/products/3 [...] Series.asphttp://www.boxxtech.com/products/R [...] Series.asp...tired of seeing moronic posts such as these declaring smartphones and tablets are going to take over the world... and referring to CAD programs as 'apps'[/citation]

I didn't say they'd replace them, but eventually they'll get to where they are a viable option for some people, even if just in a pinch. Plug your phone into a hotel's TV via HDMI and do some quick work. I'm not stupid enough to think you can get the same power in a phone as in a current PC.

I don't see them replacing PCs but if they believe they can steal some desktop machine market share with a phone or tablet, I'm sure the SoC guys will try for it.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Well not to burst anyone's hate bubble because everybody loves to hate but the Oppo didn't having a working demo smartphone AFAIK. It is the world's first physically 1080p smartphone.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]rch Flight[/nom]colorblue, can you tell me then why intel is pushing so hard to get into the mobile market? Within 8 years, the primary computing form factor is expected to be handsets... This is intel's prediction, not mine. Why is Windows 8 pushing so hard to integrate touch? I do believe they know their market a bit better than you or me. Yes, workstations will remain workstations but at a certain point, and in my opinion we have reached that point, the average computer user will gain no significant benefit from increased processing power. Not my average user is the guy who is sitting at his desk, checking email, watching movies etc. Artists and other power users will of course always utilize full workstations with the power provided their in but their numbers will be the minority. This is simply the laptop migration continued.[/citation]

you answered your question with your 2nd sentence. Another answer to your question is that intel has effectively taken over in the high-end CPU space and can now afford to rest on its laurels due to its virtual monopoly on high-end desktop CPUs... with no competition there is no incentive for intel to continue to innovate.

Microsoft & Win 8... no comment on why they are idiotically pushing their win 8 fail interface on desktop users. also no comment on users who only check email, watch youtube and facebook with their computers... nobody is talking about that here.

my comment was on serious content creation... phones are not going to keep pace there. they may catch up to 2012 in another decade, but then in 2022 the stuff from 2012 is going to look like a joke.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Waiting for the day when I come home hook up my phone to a TV and start editing in Adobe Premiere Pro. I wonder if it is even possible to run such complex software on current Smart Phones .[/citation]
Although a current phone wont have the same muscle as current workstation to run the cutting edge software,(just look at the shear size difference, they can fit much more into the workstation) what about these emerging streaming technologies? See HP's demo posted on Toms or even Onlive. You could have a server running this software, stream it out and then connect with any device.
Achieves the same result as the OP was wanting, no?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]gonna have to disagree.your idea only works in a world where content creation in 2020 will still be using the by-then-antiquated cutting-edge software from 2012. If content creation in 2020 means creating outdated content then sure... maybe a top of the line 2020 phone will be able to run 2012 CAD software... (those phones coming with 128gb ram too?). Keep in mind that you'll be creating content that is astronomically behind the cutting edge of 2020. have fun with that.[/citation]
... lol, nice last minute save.

The tech industry is trending towards greater performance and greater functionality in smaller and lower power form factors, and the gap between these form factors is closing. Software like Maya, 3DS Max, or After Effects don't simply scale up, requiring higher and higher relative hardware performance to remain usable as both hardware and software evolves. That's not the way things work, and it's not what's happened over the past 20-30 years of personal computing. These types of programs are now perfectly usable on most modern laptops, something I wouldn't have considered a reasonable option even just 6 years ago. Of course you could always potentially get far more performance out of a desktop, but as I've already stated that's completely besides the point. I'm talking about the usability and functionality that crossing this performance threshold will provide in the ultra mobile form factor.

Do you honestly believe this capability will never be achieved by a mobile form factor device?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]This is what the Galaxy Note 2 phone should have had, but its called the butterfly lol? Really? How gay is that...Hey guys look at my new cool phone it has a 108p screen...What is it....Its a HTC. ....HTC what.....Uhm the ....Buttterfly....(laughter and heckling and in general mocking the rest of the night).[/citation]
eh, they bashed the Wii's name too. and look how well it sold.

G

This would be my ideal next upgrade from a HTC sensation to a RED! phone ;)

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I wasn`t talking about CAD, these kind of programs always need loads of horsepower, but the current S3 might be albe to run Adobe Premiere in SD .. i think ... i was talking about a stripped down version of it.

sleepflower

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
To say that content will be outdated if you use older hardware is just silly. We still use stop motion, paper, designers and video editors still use old hardware. Good design does not get outdated, it is the idea, not the tools that come first. The only things that would be missing are new features that make things easier or more possible and in 3D more realistic lighting techniques will be possible and more complex work. I can still edit a great piece of work using early Premiere or final cut pro software on old hardware, as long as the HDD are fast enough. With the emergence of SSD all machines are capable of basic editing of HD when gpu is used in conjunction for H264 encoded footage, which even in broadcast work for major news channel we never touch uncompressed footage. The next major shift content wise is the horsepower required if we go to 4K, which a shift for all content made in 4K is a LONG way off. HD took my channel 2 years of planning from mid 2008, and with 4K hardware not available to buy yet, I can't see it being soon. We all know the iPhone can edit HD footage it records, so why not on a TV? The obstacle to overcome in my opinion is creating an interface that world be efficient and work well in that scenario. For me a wacom tablet works best, so what if the 5" phone seconds as the wacom tablet and use bluetooth keyboard?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
5 inch? I consider this smartphone more like a "mini tablet". I don't think most people wants to bring a huge phone on your pocket... And plus, not everyone's hands are that huge... with that size, most people can't even reach with their thumbs.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]sleepflower[/nom]To say that content will be outdated if you use older hardware is just silly. We still use stop motion, paper, designers and video editors still use old hardware. Good design does not get outdated, it is the idea, not the tools that come first. The only things that would be missing are new features that make things easier or more possible and in 3D more realistic lighting techniques will be possible and more complex work. I can still edit a great piece of work using early Premiere or final cut pro software on old hardware, as long as the HDD are fast enough. With the emergence of SSD all machines are capable of basic editing of HD when gpu is used in conjunction for H264 encoded footage, which even in broadcast work for major news channel we never touch uncompressed footage. The next major shift content wise is the horsepower required if we go to 4K, which a shift for all content made in 4K is a LONG way off. HD took my channel 2 years of planning from mid 2008, and with 4K hardware not available to buy yet, I can't see it being soon. We all know the iPhone can edit HD footage it records, so why not on a TV? The obstacle to overcome in my opinion is creating an interface that world be efficient and work well in that scenario. For me a wacom tablet works best, so what if the 5" phone seconds as the wacom tablet and use bluetooth keyboard?[/citation]
Definitely agree with you. Hope thecolorblue is still tuning in.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]lahawzel[/nom]So uh, is this the second "world's first" on Tom's?http://www.tomshardware.com/news/O [...] 17494.html[/citation]
Nope, Oppo doesn't have release date yet, HTC does, and HTC had this phone rumored before Oppo.

[citation][nom]CNET[/nom]Of course, Oppo can only claim the title if it beats HTC's rumored 1,920x1,080-pixel HD display to market.[/citation]
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57514664-94/oppo-reportedly-readying-worlds-first-1080p-smartphone/

[citation][nom]CNET[/nom]In addition, Boy Genius Report says the roadmap seems to point to a new flagship device from HTC that will be hitting Verizon's stores in the fall. The device will reportedly come with a 5-inch HD display...[/citation]
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57422039-94/apple-htc-planning-fall-launches-on-verizons-network-report-says/

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]This is what the Galaxy Note 2 phone should have had, but its called the butterfly lol? Really? How gay is that...Hey guys look at my new cool phone it has a 108p screen...What is it....Its a HTC. ....HTC what.....Uhm the ....Buttterfly....(laughter and heckling and in general mocking the rest of the night).[/citation]
That may be the case if you have some retarded friends.

[citation][nom]sherlockwing[/nom]First your phone need a min-HDMI/display port/Thunderbolt output, then you need the right adaptor for your TV's HDMI/display port/thunderbolt input.[/citation]
My Sony Xperia ion is really kinda cool when hooked up to my Panasonic 50" 3D Plasma. The phone uses most of the advanced HDMI tech so I can hook it up though the HDMI and use my TV remote to control the phone from my recliner. That will let me play any of my music photo's or video's that I have on the phone. Plus the phone can do 3D panoramic pictures and they work with my 3D Plasma. With the 12mp camera it takes some really nice pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.