HTC Vive Pre User Guide Reveals Roomscale Details, More

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only part of the Vive that should be cleaned with anything other than water is the lenses.
This is not acceptable, if the unit is used for any sort of public demos. They ought to specify some agent that can be used to sterilize those parts that make direct contact with the user.

I once got a bad boil, on my nose, right after having my eyeglasses adjusted. The woman who adjusted them seemed to take no measures to sterilize her hands or the tools she used. I doubt this was a coincidence.

Even for my own private wearables, like headphones, I occasionally wipe the contact points with 91% isopropyl alcohol. And whether a headphone has earpads I can clean in this way is a deciding factor, when I make purchasing decisions. It does wear out the earpads faster, but they're replaceable on most high-end cans.

Other things, such as lice, can also be transmitted by sharing headsets. And the hypochondriacs among you should look up demodex mites, scabies, and there are undoubtedly a bunch of other nasty things we needn't enumerate here.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

For use in a bed, I would think the Oculus Rift will be the better option, as most of the games and experiences will be desinged around sitting.
Playstation has also set guidelines for games on PSVR to be seated experiences.

Vive is mostly going to involve moving around to some degree. Some of the more active games like Hover Junkers and Space Pirate Trainer might not work well without full motion, but several of the games should work just fine in a wheel chair.
If you have the ability to move your arms freely, you should be fine for most experiences and games.
Here's a link to a video of a guy in a wheelchair describing what it was like to try the Vive and the possibilities he sees for the future of the tech. (keep in mind, this is from the summer, so long before the Vive Pre)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5iUX7piPM&ab_channel=RobertCarlos

Status
Not open for further replies.