HTC Vive Pro Eye Hands-On: Feeling in Control With Built-In Tobii Eye Tracking

Jan 8, 2019
I'm assuming this resolves lower and higher IPD ranges then ? Seems the currently non eye tracking is built for those in a certain range

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The problem the current Vive Pro has is the god awful frenel lenses. The sweet spot is tiny and the god rays are horrible. Luckily the Gear VR lens mod fixes that issue. The sound quality from the headphone is also lacking in bass. Let's hope they fix those fundamental issues in the next HTC Vive Pro headset.

Giroro

Splendid
"We asked HTC VIve about whether this feature can be disabled. A spokesperson said it depends on the application and whether the developer created content that allows for that. "

Are you sure that spokesperson knew what they were talking about? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but that response doesn't to jibe with my understanding on how the technology fundamentally works. It also sounds like something that would be illegal (at least in Europe).

perfectdarksky

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
I'm concerned regarding the data they collected by using the eye tracking. From this quote "We asked HTC VIve about whether this feature can be disabled. A spokesperson said it depends on the application and whether the developer created content that allows for that. " it seems that third parties and developers can gain access to the eye tracking data. Can Tobii eye tracking scan or capture the image of our Iris? Some smartphones or security devices are using Iris recognition to unlock the device, can the iris data be used to forge an imitation eye to unlock the device? Although it'll be tedious and expensive I'm sure many government agencies, companies, illegal organizations would be interested on these data.