HTPC Build CPU Question

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
I am getting ready to build my HTPC for my den and have gotten all the parts sorted but I am having second thoughts on what I really need and if I am just going overboard. Unfortunately I already ordered the motherboard so I am a little tied to the LGA 1151 socket. That being said, I am at this point looking at my CPU options to see if I can trim a little fat from the price I was looking at paying. I'll list what I have worked up so far below.

Case: SilverStone PT13B-120
Motherboard: ASUS H110T/CSM
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
CPU Cooling: SilverStone AR04

The one thing I am tied up on is the CPU. Originally I was shooting for the i5-7600 Kaby Lake, but then I started thinking about that. I don't think I need all that power and it will just go to waste. This HTPC is mainly going to be used as a Plex server but will be hooked up to the TV so I can watch YouTube, browse the web and other such streaming movie/tv show things.
I do however have one thing I want to do with it that will make the difference, Minecraft recording. I want to be able to use it to record Minecraft. Basically, I am going to use it as a camera in Minecraft to record my gameplay on my main computer. I hope that makes sense. I'll be using OBS to do the recording.
So my question and query is, would a cheaper i3 work for what I want on this or should I stick with the i5?

Here is the one I was looking at, saving me almost $100. i3-7100

As always, any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Solution
That should be fine. You probably don't need 16GB of memory either. I don't believe recording computers have to be all that powerful.

I would almost say the stock Intel cooler would be superior for this as well, if it fits in the case anyway.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That should be fine. You probably don't need 16GB of memory either. I don't believe recording computers have to be all that powerful.

I would almost say the stock Intel cooler would be superior for this as well, if it fits in the case anyway.

Solution

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Thanks for the fast response.
I honestly don't know why I was stuck on 16GB. Guess I thought the recording along with Minecraft would require more memory. However, sorta forgot Minecraft is heavy CPU. And Going to 8GB will save me money so I'll do that. :p

Unfortunately the stock cooler won't fit in the case, that is why the SilverStone is needed. The case is about 1" tall so not much room and I thought the stock cooler was a bit bigger than that.

Thanks for the advice.

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Thanks for the response.
It's just me so I'm gonna go with the i3 and 8GB of RAM. Will save me about $150. :)

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Good idea. Just found them and think I'll go with this one.
i3-7100T
Only a couple dollars more at nothingbutsavings.com.

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

It would be nice if my case could take a GPU aside from the one built into the CPU but that is what I sacrifice for small footprint.. :)