HTPC defective PSU or Graphics Card?

UncleVesper

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hey Guys,

Been having a huge headache with my HTPC living room setup. The specs of the inital build in 2015 were as follow:

1 x MSI MSI Gaming Z170I Gaming Pro AC LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

1 x Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56600 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics ...

1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Kit Model ...

1 x Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - OEM

1 x Thermaltake Core V1 Extreme Mini ITX Cube Chassis, Compatible with air and Liquid Cooling

1 x Corsair TX 850M (Reused from older build)

1 X NVIDIA GTX 780 (Reused from older build)

What started happening as of recently is the computer is shutting down while under gaming load. I will be playing, then the screen will turn black with some horizontal green lines for a split second then shut down. The only way to power it back on is if I flip the PSU switch off than on followed by hitting the power button.

I assumed it was a faulty PSU so I replaced the PSU with a corsair CX 750. To my dismay, the issue is still happening. I ran FURMARK with the new PSU and it shuts down within about 10 minutes of running. GPU temp hits about 70 C and CPU about 62 C.

Now thinking it might be the video card, i swapped the card in my main rig to run furmark and it is completely stable. Is it possible I got a faulty PSU? Or is it some other problem?

Thanks

Solution
My 970 stays below 80% stress testing with furmark, and I've increased the power limit and slightly overclocked. It may be normal for your card to be that high though.

MrNiemo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
The northbridge chipset on your motherboard contains the pci express controller, it could be the motherboard going bad. I really doubt it has anything to do with the psu, especially if it's happened on two separate psus. Before you go replacing anymore hardware, I'd try uninstalling display drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling. Worth a try.

UncleVesper

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Thanks for the tip. Just ran the drive uninstall utility still no luck. One thing i did notice is furmark ran at close to 99% TDP on my main rig and seems to run at 90-92% TDP on the HTPC rig. It does seem like it struggling for power unless the pci express slot is shot.

MrNiemo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
My 970 stays below 80% stress testing with furmark, and I've increased the power limit and slightly overclocked. It may be normal for your card to be that high though.

Solution