HTPC + RAID 5 + Bittorrent + DLNA Box

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Approximate Purchase Date: Tomorrow-Next Week

Budget Range: $500-$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Bit Torrent , Watching Movies, Streaming to PS3

Parts Not Required:
Hard Drives for the RAID 5 I already bought 4 Western Digital 2.0TB WD20EARS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: The cheaper the better, I use newegg.com a lot but I have priceblink installed on my Firefox Web Browser to find even cheaper prices.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I prefer ASUS and Intel, but if there is a better brand I am willing to go with another. Would like to go with a Modular Power Supply if possible.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution:
I have a LG FLATRON M237WD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005120&cm_re=M237WD-_-24-005-120-_-Product

Additional Comments: Here is my current setup:
I have a Samsung HW-C560S Home Theater System
and everything is connected to it, The LG Monitor, my PS3, and for now My Asus W3J Laptop which is acting as my current home theater PC.....

I'm not sure where to start originally I wanted to use the 4X 2TB drives in a NAS Enclosure was looking at Synology DS411j but in the end a DIY build was the most logical choice due to all the things I want to do on the computer.

They machine will be on 24/7 I am a slightly bit concerned about power when I am not going to be home. I'd like to run Windows 7 on it, Movies will be watched on the PC 1080p, flash, and maybe Blu-Ray discs but I have a PS3 for that so it's not terribly important. and uTorrent will be run on it.

Preferably I'd like sound and video to be outputted via one HDMI cable, not sure if it's possible or if it's the best choice.

I'd like to go with a HTPC case the smaller the better if it's possible, At least 5 hard drive bays if possible, I do not want to install the OS on the RAID 5 array. The quieter the better.

Well that's pretty much all the information I have. Any questions feel free to ask I'll reply as soon as I read the feedback.

Solution
NOTICE ... I will continue to edit and develop the build, on THIS message posting.
................The contents of THIS post is subject to change ... check back frequently.

Motherboard ... Well, HERE is your "ASUS" Motherboard ... But NOT INTEL SOCKET !

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV

And ... Here is ALL THE PROC YOU WILL NEED (Does Everything you asked + plenty of head-room)
... On YOUR budget, you will be using the STOCK COOLER (3.2GHz, stock ! .. No OC req'd ! )

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana...
Getting a 4x drive RAID5 array, boot drive, and an optical drive into a small space is quite a challenge. You'll need a motherboard with at least 6 SATA ports and RAID5 support.

What do you think of the Lian Li PC-V354 line of cases? That is about as small as you will get unless you want to invest in the mini-ITX PC-Q series cases. Unfortunately, RAID5 on mini-ITX is a very rare thing, you would most likely have to get an expensive PCI-express RAID card to go that small. Of course you could also go with one of the larger HTPC cases.

I think you need to decide on the case first for your project. How small do you want it to be? That will determine a the rest.

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

I looked at the links you posted. I was reading another thread where the 3ware RAID card was recommended as well. I guess the next question I should ask before going further is this:
Which will provide more reliability a Hardware RAID card or built in RAID on a mother board?

If Hardware RAID Card will prove to be more reliable, then the cases in this link are the ones I will choose from: Mini-ITX Tower

If there is no difference then I will use the built-in RAID on the motherboard and go with one of these cases: Micro-ATX Mini Tower or the HTPC cases.

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Take a look at the Lian Li PC-Q08. That thing has 6 hard drive bays, but is quite large by mini-itx standards.

As for the MB, Zotac announced just today it's H67-ITX WiFi motherboard, which DOES support RAID5, but you'll have to wait a while for that to be released, obviously.

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Can you please edit out the bittorrent parts of your message pirating is not supported at all on tom's hardware.

Going the Sandy Bridge Route is going to be expensive I think the AMD Athlon II x3 450 should be the basis of your build

undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I was facing a similar dilemma a while back and i decided to purchase a Synology DiskStation DS410. I have 4x2TB hardrives in a RAID5 set up and it performs beautifully. I can stream HD content flawlessly around my home network. The Synology NAS's come with a lot of great features aswell so you can use it for much more than just storing and streaming your media. You can use it as a Download Station to torrent with, you can set up a mail or web server, you can access it from anywhere via FTP and much more.

An alternative route to building a big PC with your raid 5 array and regular PC in one package would be to get a Synology NAS (or any other good one like Qnap) and then buy a mini-itx system (prebuilt would be cheaper i think) like the Acer Revo, Asrock HTPC series, Zotac HTPC series, etc.

Although this may turn out to be a bit more expensive, you gain more reliability with your RAID array, and you don't have one giant power consuming box. Instead you will get two low power consuming devices which will give you most of the same functionality if not more.

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

I will l not edit the bittorrent part of my post because frankly I said nothing about pirating. Why do people automatically assume that bittorrent is piracy?

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

I actually bought a Synology DS211J it had all the features I was looking for but I returned it as it could not provide the streaming needs I was looking for to my PS3.

I'm seriously considering going this route. Thing is I have 5 Computers right now on almost all the time. If I build this machine I can knock 4 machines out.

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

That motherboard looks very nice!
I like the fact that I can, in the future, add a gaming graphics card.
Zotac H67-ITX
Zotac Site H67-ITX Details

I think I may wait for that motherboard. I'm not crazy for the wi-fi, the box will be wired to my gigabit network. One major concern I have is will I be able to replace a failed hard drive on the RAID 5 array. I already lost a 500GB and a 400GB hard drive on JBOD not interested in losing all the data on another hard drive.

That case looks good as well. I think I have the motherboard and case right now!

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

I do have an option to add a Hardware RAID card to the mother board that 2135 recommended to me, the Zotac H67-ITX so a hardware RAID card is not entirely out of the picture.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Not all add-in controllers are fully independent "true hardware" RAID ... In fact many, if not most, of the cheaper cards are not "true hardware" and are NOT fully independent.
... YOU must verify, in the specs ... If it is TRUE HW, believe me, they will SHOUT IT.

... It should also be noted that compared to a PENTIUM 4's power, an i7-950 (as one example of a powerful CPU) is not nearly as "TAXED", by internal RAID chores, as the older generation of platforms were ... all the "bridge-pipes" are wider & faster, nowadays, too.

I will (only now) "allow" an internal (southbridge) RAID-0, as a fast scratch-write drive for less-compressed, SDI media capture and streaming ... but ONLY with TWO drives ... ONLY RAID-0, and not for "precious archives", either.

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

Uggh and that's where my problem lies. I do understand that RAID is not a True backup solution. I already invested money and bought 4X 2TB drives.

The drives are just sitting there unwrapped waiting for a job right now, damn this economy is hurtin' everyone.

Is buying a external RAID box and connecting it to the computer I may build the best solution to what I am looking for?

As opposed to buying a RAID card and just installing it on the PC.

If I decide to go with a external unit should I make sure it has a USB 3.0 port or a eSATA port?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
OHHhhhhh ! ... You know, sometimes I get a little jaded and I just skim over "squirelly sounding" requirements, which fall outside the normal, gaming or business or pro-graphics builds ... And my first impression was that you just wanted to do raid because you had read some article and thot it might be "cool" ...

... But ... You seemed to have a fairly clear goal, though it sounded rather fuzzy.

... I decided to throw off my predjudice and stuffiness and really went back and intensely perused your first post (third time's the charm).

You were actually very clear about what you want to do and your budget DOES seem adequate.

First ... Here is my "abstract/synopsis" of how I interpret your goals ...

... You wish to download, store, manage and stream compressed media content, probably, to include transcoding and "mashing" of various ccompressed multimedia content.

... By "compressed content", I am limiting the bandwidth of the media compression to several, simultaneous streams of MP3/MP4/AVCHD/AVC/H.264 Inter-Frame 4:2:0 (8-bit color space), not exceeding 24Mbits/sec (per each of 4 streams) ... To be able to download a BluRay movie, while watching an other movie and transcoding 16bit PCM audio to .mp3 format .... and to store a large library of content, for flexible distribution.

... [wheezing, now] ... AND ... to doo all that and to FIT all that into a cool, quiet, compact and attractive, low-power package, for under $2K US Dollars, correct ??

You wish to *COMBINE* a network media archive server, with a Robust HTPC and, if you can swing it, you would also like to have a powerful multitasking multimedia project studio PC ... ALL ... for under ~$2K .... Hmmmm ...

We can ALMOST do ALL that ... but not with INTEL and ASUS and prolly not in an HTPC case ... To be practical ...

... You munch, on this, and I will look for a "DESKTOP FORM FACTOR" case ...

.... I can tell you, right now ... A Seasonic "X"-series PSU is in your future !!!

... I'll prolly be ready to respond, with VIABLE OPTIONS (Guaranteed Certified Overhead). IF *YOU* can get over your OWN prejudices, about BRANDS and Form Factors ...

.... Let me know iffin you wish to play.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
OH ... DANG ... Only a $1000 budget ??? ... Geeez ...

... Well ... We can STILL get you a very decent HTPC+Media Server, for that ...
... You could retask your notebook to other tasks and have a secure place to store
your content ...

... I am thinking there may be some advantage to going with TWO RAID arrays, consisting of TWO drives EACH ... Two RAID-0 Arrays, one, the mirror of the other.
... If you want to get into the reasons, I will elucidate, but the short answer is that you will have better performance (speed) and 66% of the space capscity, of RAID-5, without any down time, if one of the two RAID-0 arrays should fail ... WHILE, without any SPARES to rebuild a RAID-5 FAILURE, you are screwed, and you had slower performance with it, anyhow.
... Frankly, I don't know if the onboard controller will support RAID(0+1), but lots of dirt-cheap PCIe Controllers do ... Like "Promise", and others.

... FORGET **ALL** about INTEL and ASUS ... Not gonna happen.

... You can forget about SEASONIC, too ... Maybe a Corsair or an Antec Earth-Watts.

So much for "Intense Perusal".

undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

thats surprising that it couldn't meet your streaming needs, my DS410 can stream one if not two 720p/1080p at the same time to different computers.

Anyway, if you're keen on building this machine i would advise not going for a case that is too small. You wan't to keep the hard drives (and the overall rig) as cool as possible since you're going to be using it to back up your data onto a RAID5 array.

Anyways, goodluck :)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
NOTICE ... I will continue to edit and develop the build, on THIS message posting.
................The contents of THIS post is subject to change ... check back frequently.

Motherboard ... Well, HERE is your "ASUS" Motherboard ... But NOT INTEL SOCKET !

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

And ... Here is ALL THE PROC YOU WILL NEED (Does Everything you asked + plenty of head-room)
... On YOUR budget, you will be using the STOCK COOLER (3.2GHz, stock ! .. No OC req'd ! )

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX
$80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103886

This DRAM is DDR3 1333cas9 ... 4GB is WAY PLENTY (but not too much).

Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996586
$40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146748

A few specifically pertinent features of this mobo option

HDMI Support
Enjoy Full HD 1080p Multimedia Home-Theater Entertainment
High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a set of digital video standards that delivers multi-channel audio and uncompressed digital video for full HD 1080p visuals through through a single cable. Supporting HDCP copy protection such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs, HDMI provides you with the highest-quality home theater experience

Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4290 GPU
Multi-VGA output support: HDMI, DVI-D and RGB ports
Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
Supports DVI with max. resolution 2560x1600 @60Hz
Supports RGB with max. resolution 2560x1440 @75Hz
Support H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, DirectX10.1 and OpenGL2.0
Support Shader Model 4.1, Universal Video Decoder (UVD) 2.0
Max. UMA Memory Size: 512 MB
128MB DDR3 1333 sideport memory support

SB850 Chipset
6 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10
JMicron® JMB361 PATA and SATA controller
1 xUltraDMA 133/100 for up to 2 PATA devices
1 xExternal Power eSATA 3.0Gb/s port

Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2

Audio ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- BD Audio Layer Content Protection
- Support 192khz/24bit True BD Lossless Sound
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise Filter

DTS
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease.

High Definition Audio
Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC!
The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions and multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends different audio streams to different destinations. You can now talk to your partners on the headphone while playing a multi-channel network games. All of these are done on one computer.

S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port
This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via optical S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jacks. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality.

Noise Filter
Eliminate background noise while recording
This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates it in the incoming audio stream while recording.

True USB 3.0 Support
Realize the True Future!! - TRUE USB 3.0 Support!
Experience ultra-fast data transfers at 4.8 Gb/s with USB 3.0–the latest connectivity standard. Built to connect easily with next-generation components and peripherals, USB 3.0 transfers data 10X faster and is also backward compatible with USB 2.0 components.

True SATA 6Gb/s Support
The AMD® SB850 Southbridge natively supports next-generation Serial ATA (SATA) storage interface, this motherboard delivers up to 6.0 Gb/s data transfer rates. Additionally, get enhanced scalability, faster data retrieval, double the bandwidth of current bus systems.

Back Panel I/O Ports

1 x DVI
1 x D-Sub
1 x HDMI
1 x S/PDIF Out (Optical)
1 x IEEE 1394a
1 x LAN(RJ45) port
8 -Channel Audio I/O
1 x PS/2 Keyboard (Purple)
1 x Power eSATA
4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
2 x USB 3.0 ports

Internal I/O Connectors

4 x USB connectors support additional 8 USB ports
1 x IDE connector
1 x IEEE 1394a connector
1 x CPU Fan connector
1 x Power Fan connector
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
1 x Chassis Fan connector (4-pin)
1 x Chassis Fan connector (3-pin)
1 x S/PDIF Out Header
1 x Core Unlocker Switch
1 x Turbo Key II Switch
1 x MemOK! Button
Front panel audio connector
1 x COM connector
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
1 x 24-pin ATX Power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
System Panel

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Solution

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

Well I won't be streaming to multiple machines at the same time, the plan is if possible is to only stream to the PS3 on occasion and maybe to one other PC.

The computer after all will be hooked up to the monitor and be used as a media center PC. I am not looking to stream to several machines at once.

The ASUS and Intel thing were just a preference I am willing to bypass buying intel and asus and go with another brand. Any other brand is fine with me as long as it will work.

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

For a time I was looking to buy a 1080p output capable netbook to solve my HTPC needs and then just buy a RAID array box. As time progressed I lost a 400GB HD and decided that I need a better data solution to be implemented and the netbook idea faded away.

I like the idea of having no downtime should one of the two RAID arrays should fail.

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

The streaming needs I was looking for was for my PS3 and I needed subtitle support and other things as well. I ran searches and found that in order to do this Tversity would need to be installed on another computer and then be transcoded etc etc, so I figured why not just build a HTPC and make that the streaming server DLNA etc

contro

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

That is a really attractive dirt cheap setup you provided me with. I really like where the price is headed.

I do understand that it makes a bit more sense to go with a larger case so that there is better airflow. If I go with a larger case I do want it to be quiet I mean a larger case would make for larger fans that could be spun at lower RPM and move more air correct?

Well I like what is going on with your post, looks like I have two major options so far.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well ... we might come in, SO far under budget, that we can afford a REAL 120mm Hyper212+ cooler which will cut down further on the noise ...

... Looks like you can eke-by without a discreet GPU, but there are provisions for up to TWO (gaming GPUs) if you ever want to do that ... you can have one X16 GPU or two x8 GPUs, in crossfire (This mobo does not support SLI but you can put two nVidias in there) ... they just won't SLI. ... Not likely to be an issue, now or later.

SO ... I will modify that build post by deleting all the extra details, about the mobo ...and continuing, with the proposed budget build.

... I suggest the RAID-10 mode, which this mobo will support, without an add-in cntrlr.

... Silence and dependability would both be well served with that X-Series SeaSonic PSU, if you can afford to focus some funds, to THAT ... but those 4 spinners, of yours, are going to be the noisiest components if you go with a 120mm cooler and a GREAT PSU.

If you could go with a STANDARD MID TOWER, that would provide you with more options and flexibility, at the lowest price point, and that physical layout makes much more sense, for a 4-drive (2x2) RAID setup.

... OR ... A standard desktop would be the same size as a mid-tower, but with the horizontal, desk-top orientation ... WHICH ONE ??

Think about THAT and lemme know if you have a STRONG preference for one orientation, over the other.

I have business errands, today, so may be after midnight before I can "really get into it".

... Once "we" can come up with a complete budget config, that will work and be quiet, then we can see if your budget and your desires would provide some wiggle-room for some worthy upgrades, where it would make a real difference.

later.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&cm_re=seasonic-_-17-151-088-_-Product

As a leading provider of silent power supplies, Sea Sonic delivers a true breakthrough solution for thermal and noise management. The X Series adopts a clever “Hybrid Silent Fan Control” design, which offers three distinct operation modes, fanless mode, silent mode, and cooling mode. The X automatically adjusts fan mode and speed according to the ambient temperature level. This brand new design not only optimizes heat dissipation, but also prolongs the lifespan of the system by reducing unnecessary fan rotation. To make the X Series even more robust and exciting, Sea Sonic offers a Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan, the best fan there is in the industry, to take advantage of the PWM feature.

The very first full modular multi-output ATX, high-wattage power supply that has ever obtained the 80PLUS Gold certification is introduced by Sea Sonic. This coveted power supply is named “X” and is offered in 650 watt version to fulfill computer enthusiasts’ need for the ultimate power source.

Patented DC Connector Module with Integrated VRM [Voltage Regulator Module]
DC to DC Converter Design
Patented Hybrid Silent Fan Control
Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan
Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors
Highly Reliable 105°C Japanese Brand Capacitors
Tight Voltage Regulation [±3%]
Active Power Factor Correction [99% PF Typical]
Ample +12V Output
Dual Sided PCB Layout
Ultra Ventilation [Honeycomb Structure]
Full Modular Cabling Design