News Huawei Introduces Desktop PC Motherboard for Kunpeng 920 ARMv8 Processors

It won't be as fast as Epyc 64 core but its probably cheaper and have a much lower TDP. which makes it easier to stack. It will compete with AMD if Microsoft emulates x64 apps into ARM.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
SUre... and be ready for way inferior performances. As of now, ARM is only more interesting on paper. In real world application, beside the mobile market, there was nothing really spectacular or revolutionary.

Do you know that a Raspberry Pi is $35? That most of the money for your CPU is Intel's profit margin? I'm pretty sure the Chinese can make motherboards and ARM CPUs that outperform for less. It would only be about $50 for an A77 ARM quad core CPU. $75 for 6/8 cores (the latest Mediatek ARM CPU).

Amazon has the scale to do something honestly also. Considering how awesome nVidia's plans in this area used to be and then they abandoned everything and made nothing new for 4 years... yeah, who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It won't be as fast as Epyc 64 core but its probably cheaper and have a much lower TDP. which makes it easier to stack.
The article says:
they feature the same 7nm process as AMD's chips, too, which brings about performance and efficiency advantages. For instance, the full-featured 64-core chips have a relatively tame 180W TDP. Those server-focused processors can also scale up to four sockets.

IIRC, that's about the same as all but the fastest 7 nm Epycs (I'm thinking of the one that requires water cooling...).

It will compete with AMD if Microsoft emulates x64 apps into ARM.
There are other operating systems besides Windows.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
SUre... and be ready for way inferior performances. As of now, ARM is only more interesting on paper. In real world application, beside the mobile market, there was nothing really spectacular or revolutionary.
Eh, we'll see. Amazon's Gravion 2 could be a really big deal, and ARM is supplying the same Neoverse N1 cores to Huawei.

I'm just surprised they seem to be doubling down on ARM, but I guess they're already so heavily invested in it. I would think they'd head for RISC-V as soon as possible.