[SOLVED] Huge amount of GB gone after Windows Update

Shadow Slasher

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2016
I had the previous build of Windows 1803 and decided to update to build 1903. However, it took a long time to update (about 1 hour) and when I restarted my PC I noticed that a huge amount of GB from my SSD was gone. I thought that this would be related to the update. I opened C: and found the folder "Windows.old" which is about 34GB. There is also another folder "Windows" that occupates about 22GB.
I currently have only 15GB free on my SSD, but I remember having more than 30GB free before the update. Is the folder "Window.old" taking all the space? If yes, what happens if I delete it?
I tried the Disk Cleanup from the properties but all it suggested was 29MB of cleanup lol :p
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Solution
D
you can delete it through disk maintenance. right click on the C drive and choose properties, then click on Disk Cleanup and click the Clean Up System Files button, there you can select the old windows to delete.

Doing this, however means you can't roll back to the old version.
D

Deleted member 14196

you can delete it through disk maintenance. right click on the C drive and choose properties, then click on Disk Cleanup and click the Clean Up System Files button, there you can select the old windows to delete.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

Shadow Slasher

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2016

I don't want to roll back it's ok. However, deleting the old system files won't cause my any problems right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
How big is your ssd? 30gb isn't a lot of breathing space, might be time to think about a bigger one.

If you clean install latest version of win 10, it will create a spot on your PC that is only used for windows updates. People in the past have found themselves in the position where they couldn't patch windows because they didn't have enough space. So Windows now allocates a portion of you PC as unusable by you to make sure you can get any future patches. Drives are getting so big it makes sense to do this.

This feature doesn't affect you now as its only available for clean installs but one day you will eventually need to clean install - win 10 isn't perfect, bugs/drivers crashing happens - and that 30gb free space will not be there

Reactions: King_V