[SOLVED] Huge CPU temperature reads?

darker246

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Hello everyone,
so, here's my problem. Recently i switched from Phenom II X4 945 to also used FX 6300 and now whenever I use a sowftware or games that will put it on a bigger than 50% load, it starts showing temperatures of 200, 220, up to 255 degrees celsius. Now obviously those readings are bad, but nontheless it gets warmer than it should. When I am just browsing web or some other light task even if my room is in these summer temperatures as hot as 30 and my case is quite small and closed i have pretty decent and big cooler and it works at 25-35 celsius, but as soon as it loads over 50% it starts spiking like that causing FPS in games to drop as far as 10 for 15 seconds or so and it is really making it unplayable. BTW games am speaking of are NBA 2k14 and GTA 5 which am supposed to run at Ultra and I am not....
Now what is interesting, on old CPU in HW monitor max draw would read correctly, up to 95W which is TDP of both of these cpu's, but on this one it is always capped at 52W and never goes over, so someone suggested to me that i change my power supply, which i just did yesterday and issue is completely unchanged. Mind you, GPU temperature is reading as it should and it is as expected.
Could it be that bad temperature sensors on mobo would cause CPU to not draw anymore power and thus capping it and causing those FPS drops? Since on touch of the case it doesn't actually feel too hot and certainly if it was reaching those temperatures it would shutdown or melt.
So please, what could be the issue? Could it be motherboard, or perhaps somehow CPU? I also were experiencing such high readings and occasional FPS drops on old cpu as well but on this one it is even worse and one thing different that i noticed is as i said that hw monitor draw maximum of only 51...

CPU - AMD FX 6300
RAM - 2x4GB DDR3 (8GB)
GPU - AMD R9 270x
MB - MSI 760GM-P21
PSU - Cooler Master MWA 500W (brand new)

Solution
use hwinfo on sensor page take the readings and strart log of them you will see what happens with temp also could it be that your gpu bottleneck the system with this cpu .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
225°C is impossible, just saying.

Also, it's an FX cpu. You should not use temperature reading software as the FX have no sensors on the cores to read. Count on any temp you do read as being wrong.

Instead use Amd Overdrive. It uses thermal margins, the closer to 0 you are, the less thermal room you have. Just be warned, those are NOT temperatures, they are a representation of Range. In other words, tm over 20's is good, tm in the teens is warm, tm in single digits is hot, tm of 0 is you just reached max allowable and tm of negative numbers is cooking the cpu.

darker246

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
225°C is impossible, just saying.

Also, it's an FX cpu. You should not use temperature reading software as the FX have no sensors on the cores to read. Count on any temp you do read as being wrong.

Instead use Amd Overdrive. It uses thermal margins, the closer to 0 you are, the less thermal room you have. Just be warned, those are NOT temperatures, they are a representation of Range. In other words, tm over 20's is good, tm in the teens is warm, tm in single digits is hot, tm of 0 is you just reached max allowable and tm of negative numbers is cooking the cpu.
well i don't care about the reading and the sensor mate, what i care is what i said in description, huge performance drop