HUGE Ereader Packs Two 14.1-inch LCDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbandman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Strikes me that there's a very good reason for the size and for why it's a format which will sell (eventually). A 14.1" diagonal will display both A4 and Letter page sizes with virtually no scaling at all. Existing documents created for those page sizes will be visible at original size. A smaller screen would require either resizing, which could be a problem for small text, or reflowing, which even when it works perfectly results in layout changes which may be suboptimal. Small text is a potential problem for the target market - this looks to be aimed at business rather than students, in which case small text will be a turn-off for many older buyers. This looks like the right solution to displaying the vast majority of material that would otherwise be printed, eg print-ready PDFs. Two screens means, if the software is up to it, that you can "hold" one page on one side and directly compare it with another from an alternative document. A single screen just doesn't cut it for that. And in terms of portability, unless they whack on enormous bezels round the screens, this is the size of an A4 textbook, it'll even fit the bag you're currently using for transporting materials to and from office (or school) and home.

Now all they need to do is start using lightweight flexible screens, slot a couple more in so you can flip back and forward between several different pages rather than just see two, and they've got a winner. If it's cheaper. Till then it's likely a slow burn.

showape

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
If they incorporate blackberry storm type touchscreen to simulate physical keyboard, with a properly tailored interface that allows interaction of the two screens and with notebook hardware, the large form might as well be an advantage.

Oh wait that wouldn't be an e-reader.It'd make a make a new niche of devices though.

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
I like it. Spkeaing as one who's owned a Sony reader since they came out, one place where they fall short is reading more complex books, like pdf files with embedded illustrations. This would be great.

Otoh, 5.5 pounds makes it not so great for extended fiction reading.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The design is great. However, it will take some time before technology can deliver a viable product based on this design. For now, 2 LCD cost too much and the hardware is too heavy and generate too much heat.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
This thing is a little big, but other than that the video promoting it has all the features I want in a device like this. I also see there are a lot of readers with a stylus out or coming out so maybe it will soon be time to have a look at this category more closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.