[SOLVED] Huge erratic ping spikes (1000-2000ms) lasting for extended periods of time (anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes), anybody have any advice?

Sep 8, 2019
First I'll provide the specs of my PC:
i7-3770k CPU.
16GB RAM.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.
Windows 10 64-bit OS.

My internet is supplied by PlusNet in the UK, sadly our house is in a bit of a grey zone where we cannot get a fibre connection, therefore we have a 15Mb/s package, which is about all we can get. However, I am generally the only person in the house to use the internet for an extended period of time, it's mostly used by others only to stream shows on Netflix and the like, which rarely impact the connection speed. Everybody else in the house accesses the connection via Wi-Fi, however I'm connected to the router via ethernet.

I've gotten into the habit of running a ping to googles dns as soon as I start my PC so I can monitor any lag throughout the day. Every time the lag spikes hit, I can see them instantly and have tried a variety of things to see if I can track a culprit in our house. I have used access control via the router to restrict the internet access of every other device in the house during lag spikes to see if they disappear, however they do not, so I am relatively sure it isn't somebody in the house causing the connection issues.

They don't seem to occur at any specific times or during certain activities either. A lot of the time they annoy me as I am trying to play a game or stream a video, but I have witnessed them occur at all times of the day, even at 4am when I am the only person awake in the house connected to the internet.

After a bit of searching for advice, I decided to run a tracert to google (8.8.8.8) and see what happened along the way. I've attached a screenshot of all 9 hops on the way to google when the internet is working fine, and during a 2000ms lag spike. I've tried to ping the first 3/4 hops myself with and without lag however they aren't responding so I presume they may be blocking ICMP ECHO requests. It's also worth mentioning that when performing a continuous ping to my local IP, the results are completely fine (<1ms).

As the extreme spike in ping occurs straight away at hop 2, would I be correct in saying it's probably a faulty connection at a local branch or something? Would I be able to get in contact with my provider (and provide this proof) and get the problem solved with relative ease?

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: The server keeps giving me an error when trying to attach a screenshot of the tracert cmd windows only showing the ping response time and no other information, so I guess I can type it out:

When there is no lag:

1 4ms 3ms 3ms
2 13ms 11ms 13ms
3 * * *
4 17ms 16ms 16ms
5 18ms 16ms 16ms
6 15ms 17ms 16ms
7 17ms 18ms 17ms
8 * * *
9 18ms 19ms 19ms (this is 8.8.8.8, so it resolves here)

Then during a 2000ms spike:

1 5ms 3ms 3ms
2 2538ms 1862ms 2135ms
3 2277ms * *
4 1318ms 1893ms 1592ms
5 1663ms 1666ms 1686ms
6 1694ms 1631ms 1675ms
7 1714ms 1733ms 1737ms
8 * * *
9 1485ms 1456ms 1519ms

Last edited:
Solution
Well God bless u have done enough troubleshooting to point the problem to ISP, nothing with you.

U can download a tool from dslreports.com to collect this data and present it to the ISP so they know you are serious and not a once-off occurrence.
Well God bless u have done enough troubleshooting to point the problem to ISP, nothing with you.

U can download a tool from dslreports.com to collect this data and present it to the ISP so they know you are serious and not a once-off occurrence.

Solution