Question Huge FPS drop in every game, graphics settings doesn't matter

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Hi!
When I play any game, that doesn't old, my FPS randomly drops down to 10-20 for 4-5 sec, especially in League of Legends. Also when I got FPS drop, my friends saying, my voice is like a robot, so I think my whole PC lag that time.
My spec:
CPU: FX-8300
GPU: RX550 2GB
RAM: 12GB
MOBO: Asus M5A78L-M LX3
Thank you for your future help!

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
what temp you have in system also the psu name and model check the reading with hwinfo with this gpu you should try to run game at low settings system might have issue handling game and discord in the same time also why 12 gig of ram on a amd system .

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
what temp you have in system also the psu name and model check the reading with hwinfo with this gpu you should try to run game at low settings system might have issue handling game and discord in the same time also why 12 gig of ram on a amd system .
Why 12GB ram problem with AMD, i have never heard that, so if you can explain it, i would be happy.

Why 12GB ram problem with AMD, i have never heard that, so if you can explain it, i would be happy.

Is it 3x4gb? The main problem is if all the RAM can run in dual channel mode, for example 2x4gb, 2x8gb or 4x4gb. If you have more RAM in one channel than the other the RAM either runs entirely in single channel (half bandwidth) or hybrid where partially single and partially dual. Single channel RAM can cause performance issues and stuttering.

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Is it 3x4gb? The main problem is if all the RAM can run in dual channel mode, for example 2x4gb, 2x8gb or 4x4gb. If you have more RAM in one channel than the other the RAM either runs entirely in single channel (half bandwidth) or hybrid where partially single and partially dual. Single channel RAM can cause performance issues and stuttering.
It is 8 and 4 GB, the 4 GB is dual-channel, but i have got its pair, should i replace it? So have a 2x4GB dual channel?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I don't see that the ram could be the problem unless you changed that recently and then the huge drop in performance started only after that.

You might just need to re-paste CPU, if it's overheating or you could be facing a component that is about to fail: mobo, psu, gpu, ram.

There could also be a dirty install of operating system, drivers and or third party apps.

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
So, news. Now I don't have big fps drops that often, but for example in LoL, i cant get stabile 60 fps, its drop to 55-58, and I have micro lag. But the interesting thing is, i have these laggs in any type of graphic settings. I heard that my pc is throttling, but my CPU and GPU temps don't go above 70 or 60. I also heard that VRM can cause throttling too, but i can't measure its temp. And I also heard that my MOBO is weak for my CPU. What should I do?

So, news. Now I don't have big fps drops that often, but for example in LoL, i cant get stabile 60 fps, its drop to 55-58, and I have micro lag. But the interesting thing is, i have these laggs in any type of graphic settings. I heard that my pc is throttling, but my CPU and GPU temps don't go above 70 or 60. I also heard that VRM can cause throttling too, but i can't measure its temp. And I also heard that my MOBO is weak for my CPU. What should I do?
You never came back with an answer to if the cpu speed (GHz) was dropping. This would tell us if any type of throttling is happening.

70c on an FX8300 is too high. The max rated temp is 70.5c for that cpu https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8300

How can I log cpui frequency, with hwinfo?
On the Sensor Status screen there is a ‘Logging Start’ button and it will ask you where to save the file. You can then view the file using something like Excel.

MSIAfterburner is easier to use, you will need to choose what sensors you want to track in the settings but everything is then presented in graphs.

HWInfo has a lot more information but that doesn’t matter for this.

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
On the Sensor Status screen there is a ‘Logging Start’ button and it will ask you where to save the file. You can then view the file using something like Excel.

MSIAfterburner is easier to use, you will need to choose what sensors you want to track in the settings but everything is then presented in graphs.

HWInfo has a lot more information but that doesn’t matter for this.
Ok I'm done. I have only recorded the core clock. And it was stable 3613.3 MHz.

I didn't have huge fps drop, but every game i will run the record. But I still didn't have stabile 60 fps, it dropped to 52-58.
I’m not surprised by getting 52-58 fps with that cpu, I’d expect that’s normal. Your original problem was “10-20 for 4-5 sec”. Did you experience this while monitoring the cpu speed? I am trying to see if at the same time as these large drops the cpu is throttled.

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
I’m not surprised by getting 52-58 fps with that cpu, I’d expect that’s normal.
It needs to be stable 60 fps with that setup in full low settings, in fact it should be at least 140.

Your original problem was “10-20 for 4-5 sec”. Did you experience this while monitoring the cpu speed? I am trying to see if at the same time as these large drops the cpu is throttled.
Yes.

It needs to be stable 60 fps with that setup in full low settings, in fact it should be at least 140.

Yes.
Where are you seeing 140fps. I’ve seen old reviews where it showed 100. My understanding is LoL has had many updates over the years which have pushed up the cpu requirements. Do you have a benchmark you can share?

So you had drops to 10-20fps but the cpu stayed at 3.6GHz?

MaskedWaltex

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Where are you seeing 140fps. I’ve seen old reviews where it showed 100. My understanding is LoL has had many updates over the years which have pushed up the cpu requirements. Do you have a benchmark you can share?
What benchmark should i do?

So you had drops to 10-20fps but the cpu stayed at 3.6GHz?
While i logged the frequency i didn't have fps drops to 10-20 fps.

What benchmark should i do?

While i logged the frequency i didn't have fps drops to 10-20 fps.
I was asking what benchmark you have that shows you should have 140fps with that cpu? I am not sure your expectation is correct but if you can provide a benchmark or review showing 140fps with your cpu and a modern version of the game I am happy to be wrong.

I was only trying to help with the drops to 10-20 fps. You need to play until this happens and then check if the cpu throttled at the same time.